Unsolved

T

1 Rookie

• 

427 Posts

May 19th, 2020 02:00

SVc2020 & 3000 Minimum config

Hi All

i have these two systems i want to setup for testing and learning on.

What is the minimum config i can run to have these setup.

Thanks

• 

6.9K Posts

May 19th, 2020 10:00

Hello tapelibraryfixer,

The SCv2020 and SCv3000 are 2U storage systems with built-in storage. The SCv3000 is a 2U storage system that supports a minimum of 7 and a maximum of 12 internal 3.5–inch hot-swappable SAS hard drives installed in a four-column, three-row configuration. The SCv2020 is a 2U storage system that supports up to 24 internal 2.5–inch hot-swappable SAS hard drives installed vertically side-by-side. 

You will also need to have a valid support contract on each so that you can download & install SCOS. 

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

1 Rookie

• 

427 Posts

May 20th, 2020 01:00

Hi Sam

Basically regarding the initial setup on the 2020, do i only need the management port connected for the storage manager to see the system?

I was given it 2nd hand and not sure what they did when removing it from there system. from the serial port it says its missing disks, 2,14,15,16 which seems odd. so it looks like the disks were just removed without removing the config first.

thanks

• 

6.9K Posts

May 20th, 2020 11:00

Hello tapelibraryfixer,

You should be able to see the system with just the management connected. It is best to connect it all up prior to turning system on.  Since you are missing disk I would agree that it looks like they just pulled the drives & didn’t wipe the system.  Here is the link to the deployment guide just in case you need it. https://dell.to/2LGV6WW

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

May 21st, 2020 13:00

Just for the docs... the SCv3020 is a 3U array.

Iam not sure if you are able to reset the system without the help of the Dell support. Keep in mind that these devices have a license installed.

The installer guide is only usefull when you have a brand new unit.

Do you have the password for the user named "Admin"? You can bypass the authentification if you have the system in front of you and a USB handy. At least for the SCv2020 there is a password recovery possible. With that you can also modify the IPv4 for both CMs to get access to the SCOS trough DSM.

Regards,
Joerg

1 Rookie

• 

427 Posts

May 22nd, 2020 01:00

the 3000 ended up being easy enough to setup as it gave the ip.

the 2020 i have no info on logins etc so i think im stuck there.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

May 22nd, 2020 03:00

Well.. maybe i can help with your 2020. From my brain... you need an old smaller USB stick formated with MS-DOS, creating a ascii file on it with contains an command and the useraccount you wanna bypass. The stick needs to be insert in the CM leader and after around ~2min you can login with the default SC password.

1.  2 or 4GB Stick formatted with MSDOS/FAT32
  2. create a text file named unlock.py with the content of "unlock Admin" (without the quotes and take notice that that the SC account is Admin with upper case A) on the usb stick
  3. place it into the leading CM and wait a couple of minutes
  4. trough the serial console try to login with "Admin" and "mmm" as default password or just press enter(cant remember)

You now can change the management IP adresses to connect with DSM.  I never tried to change the password on the command line, but iam sure there is a way.

If its not working. Try the other CM because youre not on the leading CM. Try another USB stick(my first wasnt working). Otherwise come back and report and i'll take a look to my manual from the old days.

This was the working procedure for SC8000, 4000 and i think so for 2000. IIRC dell have it on a website also.

Regards,
Joerg

1 Rookie

• 

427 Posts

May 28th, 2020 10:00

Hi Thanks for the info

Im still trying to get my head around how these systems work.

Whats decides what controller is the lead?

Why does safe mode occur and what can you do when it in that state?

Is the console login the same login as the web gui?

If you dont know the ip of a controller how can you find it?

Is it possible t factory default them?

Question questions!!!

• 

6.9K Posts

May 29th, 2020 10:00

Hello tapelibraryfixer,

Here is a link to more information about Compellent systems. 

https://dell.to/3diJ2Hu

No Events found!