Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

April 20th, 2012 00:00

Brocade long wave SFP

Hello Guys,

Please help with this. I need to cover 32 km distance between to Brocade 5300 switches with SFP, but cannot find the appropriate one. If I use the 30km long wave Brocade SFP 4Gb/s, will it cover the 32 km distance if works on 2 Gb/s?

96 Posts

April 26th, 2012 07:00

Hi,

In the following link you will see the supported SFPs on Brocade switchs, unfortunately none of them supports 32 Km:

http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/matrices/SFP_Matrix.pdf

AFAIK, the distance limitation has to do with the Tx Power and Rx Power, rather than with the speed. If the lenght of the cable is too long, the Rx power detected may not be good enough to stablish de ISL. On the other hand, if you open a case with your service provider reporting any issues in the SAN, first thing they will tell you is that distance is too big for that type of sfp. I recommend you to use another technology in between, such us CWDM, DWDM or TDM.

Rgds

2.1K Posts

May 9th, 2012 19:00

I agree that you are going to have to look at a different solution besides direct connection of the 5300s. You need something in between to make the distance a reality. What you put in there depends a lot on what kind of traffic load you are planning to push across that link: How much total bandwidth do you need and what are the requirements as far as up time, latency, packet loss, etc.

2 Intern

• 

5.7K Posts

July 2nd, 2012 01:00

Did you get an answer to this question ?

1 Message

September 6th, 2012 02:00

Dont even try a 30KM SFP for a 32 KM distance - the light signal doesnt immediatley drop at 30KM but you need to acocunt light loss through patching etc.

SmartOptics 8GFC SFPs are able to reach up to 40KM (point to point) and have products which go up to 70KM. I can only find support for Brocade SAN infrastructure as they are technology alliance partners. Connectrix-B SAN infrastructure I cannot find reference around support for this solution. You would expect Connectrix-B to qualify them also.

Here is a link to the solution: http://smartoptics.biz/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/SO-SFP-8GFC-L40D.pdf

No Events found!