Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 26th, 2010 03:00

How to copy active Zoneset to new FC Switch ?

I connected a new switch to my Cisco MDS 9124 with an ISL. I want to copy the active zoneset to the new switch. I can't find how to do this. Is there a solution with Control Center ?

Thanks,

Xavier

1 Rookie

• 

5.7K Posts

May 26th, 2010 03:00

I don't know the way in ECC, but there are a few steps you should take:

• create all the VSAN's you'll be using on this new switch
  • on one of the production switches you need to distribute the current zoneset. Styart fabric manager, edit zoneset of a particular VSAN and press the ""distribute" button. A better way would be to config all your switches to use enhanced zoning and automatic distribution. Tthat way a new switch will automatically get the config from the other switches:
    • system default zone distribute full

• system default zone mode enhanced

10 Posts

May 26th, 2010 07:00

1 Rookie

• 

5.7K Posts

May 31st, 2010 03:00

I'm glad you found it. I must say that I can't do without the GUI, but I wouldn't be without the CLI either. With Cisco MDS I use both. sometimes one is easier and sometimes the other is easier

71 Posts

July 6th, 2010 07:00

Hi Xbosson,

You are saying that you connected your existing Cisco MDS 9124, with a new switch, what kind of switch, is this new switch? Assuming that this new switch is also a Cisco MDS and is a, 'new switch', meaning it does not has its own zone sets to be merged with the first switch. It should receive the active zoneset database automatically as all switches in the Cisco MDS 9000 Family distribute active zone sets when new E port links come up or when a new zone set is activated in a VSAN. You need to ensure that you have all the VSANs created on the new switch which you want on the entire fabric, both the switches will need to have unique domain IDs. However there are ways to distribute zonesets manually as well or in case you want the entire zoneset to be copied, please refer to the earlier link provided by the other user.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

January 9th, 2015 13:00

i hope he/she does too, it's only been 5 years.

6 Posts

January 9th, 2015 13:00

I hope you might have known by this time. But I would like to mention what I know. i.e, login to new switch and create same vsan then use command zone copy active-zoneset full-zoneset vsan .

No Events found!