Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 29th, 2017 22:00

Did I get scammed by Best Buy?

So I buy a Dell 7559 Signature Edition from Best Buy. I'm looking at Dell's website to see what it is before I buy it. I want to buy it from Best Buy because I have their credit card. So I've had the machine since 2016 fall I think. Never been happy with it-a real pig. Slowwwwww. Terrible online connect.

So here's the deal I put in Dell detect and enter the service tag- and the Express Service Code- and it takes me to an i5 7559.

I paid over a grand for this machine. Then I find out Best Buy changed the Processor to a lower grade and removed the SSD that should have come with this unit. Is this not bait and switch? Is this legal? I think not!

Oh,and I have the left hinge separation *** too! Cheesy Dell real Cheesy. I'll never buy another Dell product that's for sure!!!! 

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 30th, 2017 13:00

Best buy and Dell offer many configurations -- purchase price being one guide.  They start at $700 or so for systems with an i5, 8G and conventional hard drives.  

The versions that come with i7/16G and SSDs are $1,000 and up.

Check your purchase receipt -- it'll specify the system you purchased.   Just don't expect the configuration to be identical to what Dell itself sells, since they do -- like all the other major computer companies -- make systems that are proprietary to the retailer.  

4 Operator

• 

2.3K Posts

December 30th, 2017 14:00

Do you remember what the spec sheet said?  Its also possible the Dell website might be off.  What do your computer say it has in it?

3 Posts

December 31st, 2017 10:00

It says i7-6700HQ @ 2.6Ghz. The Dell site which lists all the inspirons i7-6700HQ @ 3.5GHz. Quite a difference wouldn't you say. They are all listed as between $699. and $914. And they are all listed with an SSD and a big hybrid storage drive! Really feel that I've been bait and switched.

I first called my Best Buy and they informed me that they had the laptop I was looking for in stock. When I got to the store they had one in an open box so they only charged me a G. Very kind of them. I was totally unaware that they could alter the components for a given model #. I mean seriously, how many laptops does the average consumer buy? This is my first laptop. I've built a couple of Gaming Rigs big mean machines. But my knowledge of laptops was sorely lacking.

Is there any recourse for me that anyone knows? 

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 31st, 2017 15:00

The i7-6700HQ base frequency is 2.6.  It'll burst to 3.5 when that's demanded of it by the system load -- so you got exactly what you paid for.

Replacing the hybrid setup with a native SSD will boost performance immensely.

Here's the spec on your CPU

ark.intel.com/.../Intel-Core-i7-6700HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz

No Events found!