Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 26th, 2017 03:00

Questions about Premium support and Premium support plus

Hi Dell,

I am not a US citizen but I am interested to the New Alieanware Area-51 offered in US. I have send several emails to US customer service but they didn't reply. Perhaps due to multiple hurricanes, or simply I'm not a local citizen. But anyway, here is my situation, hopes people here can give me some replies.

First of all, I want to know more about how the international warranty works. I read the FAQ here but it seems there is no article regarding the Premium support. I visited Dell Hong Kong website but unfortunately they did not offer customised specification fro Area-51 just like Dell US Store. So, if I choose Premium support/support plus, would I still need to return the whole desktop back to US when there's something wrong? Will I get any technical supports directly from Dell Hong Kong on both hardware and software issues?

I am currently live in Hong Kong but I have friends living in US. So I want to order Area-51 here and ask Dell to deliver to the address in US, and my friend will ship the desktop to me later. My guess, there is no shipping problem.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 26th, 2017 13:00

The requirements for international warranty transfer:

The system must be sold in the destination country,

The system warranty must be upgraded to include onsite service,

The ownership must be verifiable.

Since levels of support vary by location, purchasing premium support beyond onsite is likely not a good idea -- for that matter, if this system is not available in your location, it's a good idea to rethink your plan - because parts won't be available, and service would require shipping the system back to the US.

September 26th, 2017 20:00

Thanks for the reply, but I'm confused how to define the system? The system is available in Hong Kong, I can see that Area-51 is available in Hong Kong website, however, the tech specs inside. such as the grading of CPU, display card, RAM and hard disk memory is fixed or limited choices. In other words, if I choose using i7 7820X or GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X here, but both of them are not available in Hong Kong. Will you say that due to the grading of CPU and the display card is not available in Hong Kong so in accordingly, the international warranty will not cover the whole Area-51 system? Thanks for your reply

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

September 27th, 2017 04:00

Thank you for your message.  The warranty basically depends on the availability of this model in Hong Kong.

Premium plus warranty is an overall package which will include, data backup, software assistance & accidental damage protection.  This again depends upon the availability of the warranty in your region.

If there is no Premium support plus available in Hong Kong & if the system model is available. Then you will get a basic warranty which will include only part replacement.

The specifications are not the same in all regions. If a particular specification you are looking is not available in Hong Kong, we wouldn’t recommend you purchase this system.

The best bet is to contact Hong Kong support on 3416-6923 (24/7) & they should be able to assist you with the details.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 27th, 2017 16:00

At a minimum, were the CPU to fail - or the GPU -- there'd be no warranty replacement parts.

This is a major purchase - importing a system  yourself is not a good idea -- it may be less expensive up front, but in exchange, you're assuming a good deal of risk (and possible cost) as well.

1 Message

January 31st, 2021 03:00

I really don't understand this answer ...
Do you mean that if I am in the USA with a laptop bought in the EU, for example, there are other Core i7-10870H or GPU RTX3070 or SSD and the laptop will not repair me there?
There are many noteooks with the same configuration around the world

10 Elder

• 

23.3K Posts

January 31st, 2021 04:00

The issue is that there is no warranty coverage unless the system is sold in your market.  It's no longer a matter of replacing a failed CPU or GPU -- with notebooks, the vast majority of these are soldered to the system board and not separately replaceable short of replacing the entire system board, which won't be available in markets where the system is not sold.

No Events found!