Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Z

2 Posts

January 4th, 2020 01:00

Tech support experience

This afternoon I received my XPS 9575 back from depot with the same issue I sent it in for.   I had identified that I had reinstalled the OS multiple times to try and resolve an erratic TouchPad issue.  They reinstalled the OS again and sent it back and the problem showed up within 10 min of booting. 

At this point I'm mildly annoyed that I have to send the system back, but I was planning on buying another year of warranty and probably upgrade to premium when I get paid on the 15th. 

Then I dealt with tech support to try and get the system back to depot.   Now I'm not only not planning on extending the warranty, but I'm also probably never going to buy another product from Dell and I'm going to quit recommending Dell products to anyone.

I called Dell three times to try and get this resolved:

Call 1: called depot to try and get a return label.   They fwded me to tech support.  The automated system sent me to out of warranty support after entering my service code.  After waiting on hold the out of warranty tech needs all of the info about my problem before he'll send me back to regular tech support.   He fwds me back to tech support and the line disconnects shortly after being connected to a tech.

Call 2: call tech support, get sent to out of warranty support, tried explaining that I had been disconnected and I just need to be fwded back to regular tech support.   They won't fwd me until I explain my problem again. I explain my issue again and they send me back to tech support. I try explaining to the tech that it's the exact same issue that I sent it to depot for, and that I already have it pack back up in the box and I only need a shipping label.   They make me take the system back out, boot it into diagnostics (which I told them I had already done) and re-troubleshoot the issue.   After  going through the whole script, they tell me that they'll send me a box to return the system in and it will be here in a few days.   I tell them that I already have a box and I just need a shipping label emailed to me.   They say that they have to send another box and cannot email a label.   I'm getting pretty angry at this point so I tell them to send me the box and end the call before I start screaming at him.  

Call 3:  not satisfied with waiting for the box I call back after I cooled down.  Instead of saying tech support at the prompt I just say operator to avoid getting sent to out of warranty support again.   When I got connected to a tech i ask to be escalated to a supervisor and that I'm calling about a previous call.   After some arguing the tech says he'll forward my call and puts me on hold.   After 5 min of being on hold, what sounds like the same man answers amd identifies himself as a supervisor.  I explain my situation and state that it seems pretty dumb for Dell to waste money sending me a new box and making me wait instead of just emailing me a label.  He says he needs to talk to someone to see if they can send me a label.   After about 15 min on hold he comes back and says they'll email me a label and that I'll receive it in about 48 hours.   48 hours to email a shipping label?! I tell him that's absolutely rediculous and it should take less than an hour based on system returns I do with Panasonic at work on a regular basis.  He simply states that's how it works.   I then asked to be connected to a complaint line to which he responds that he can take the complaint.  I tell him that I'm not going to file a complaint with the person I'm complaining about and end the call.

I generally don't get angry easily, but I was really mad by the time I got off the phone with tech support each time.  Based on this experience, I don't think I'll be purchasing any more XPS systems in the future, which is a shame because the engineering and quality really is top notch.   If this is how you treat your customers during a routine tech issue, I don't want to be one anymore.  

-Zack

1 Message

January 4th, 2020 13:00

I totally can relate to this issue.  Yesterday I got Inspiron 5593.  Re-installed latest Win 10 and started having "blue screen" problems each time the system would go into either sleep, power off, or hybernate mode.  Contacted Dell tech support.  I noticed some tech staff either speak with you like you are a 5-year old while others border on being rude.  We spent over an hour trying to identify this "blue screen" problem which started to happen at random occurrences during remote assistance session so the system was resetting itself each time and assistance connection had to be re-established.  They examined dump logs and the problem identified as hardware issue, so I was advised to ship the system back for exchange.  

I packed the system and advised Dell support that I wish to completely cancel this order.  I asked tech support for shipping address.  They refused to provided it saying that to cancel the order I need to contact customer care on Monday.  I told tech support it would be faster and more efficient if they tell me shipping address so I can ship the system to Dell depot today and tell customer care tracking number on Monday to get the head start.  Tech support sounded agitated and confrontational telling me that he cannot give me shipping address (even though its the same as what customer care will give me).  He said the process is "designed" so that for order cancellations I must go through customer care.  The tech support was giving this speech about the differences between him providing shipping address for exchange case vs. the case for cancellation (even though is the same shipping address for both cases).  After a while I interjected and told him that their process is very rigid and is not customer-friendly.  I offered an option to ship the system so Dell would receive it sooner and I would provide tracking number to customer care on Monday. 

I was dealing with Dell for over 15 years and was happy with their products but this time I got a seemingly defective laptop and their commitment to blindly follow their procedures rather than addressing customer concerns makes me think that it's time to give Apple a try.

EDIT: Another example of Dell's lack of flexibility with customers is when I requested them to add 8GB RAM to this Inspiron system while it was still being configured.  This system comes with 8GB RAM, I suggested Dell customer service to add 8GB more while they had laptop in their possession.  Dell used to have a much flexible service and it was much easier to modify system configuration.  Now they told me that to add more RAM I would have to receive the system first, contact Dell tech support, and schedule an appointment for RAM upgrade.  Another retailer would likely be happy to make the hardware upgrade for me just to keep me as their customer but Dell just doesn't seem to care about their customers any more.

2 Posts

January 5th, 2020 09:00

I had pretty much the same experience with tech support.   Borderline rude, absolutely refused to do anything that didn't follow "normal" procedures, and really didn't care about anything I said that didn't answer a question on the script.

1 Message

January 5th, 2020 10:00

I am definitely not satisfied with the resolution that I was given.  When my laptop went black Dell Support told me that if my motherboard was the issue that my data could be saved. When it was determined that was the issue, I agreed to replacement assuming my hard drive would remain intact. I understand the that I signed the repair sheet but since I was told the data could be saved prior by a Dell rep so I assumed this would be the case.

I paid $200 to have Dell destroy my data. I would never have agreed to this had I known. I would have asked for my laptop to be returned.

There is no amount of money that can replace my photos, work files and personal data but I would expect an offer of some sort of compensation from Dell. it is especially concerning that the computer failed only 3 days affair my warranty expired. 

Dell’s customer service and standards should be better than this.

Having a “supervisor” call and tell me there is nothing that can be done is not a solution. Passing me off to more “supervisors” calling it an “escalation” only to be told the same is ridiculous coming from a company that touts it’s reputation in customer service.
The posts repeated demonstrate that Dell clearly does not value, respect or care for their customers.  Disappointing.

January 7th, 2020 18:00

Horrible!!!! I was hung up on twice by tech support and then hung up on by the sales department of Dell so three times I've been hung up on. I just asked a tech guy is this critical error on this computer normal for a brand new computer? He said "no it's not normal I would go back to Best Buy." click and he hung up on me not asking is there anything else I can help you with? or did you have any other concerns today? nothing like that. I'm in customer service myself we are required to ask is there anything else I can help you with before we finish the call and we can't just hang up on a customer. I've been hung up on 3 Times by Dell.

No Events found!