Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 24th, 2009 12:00

AX100

Has anyone experienced the same issue? We have 4 AX100's that have been running fine for years, then all of a sudden each one, at different times, has an SP go unmanaged? how does that happen and how do you trouble shoot it? you can't even reboot that SP since you can't reach it. When we do reboot the entire SAN the same thing, same port is unmanaged. This has happend at 4 different locations.

9.3K Posts

August 24th, 2009 15:00

Maybe a security scan triggered this problem? I do assume you're running the latest flare for the AX100 (02.19.100.5.048)? You can get it from here if you don't have it yet.

To reboot 1 SP (this is only valid for the AX100, not the AX150 or newer boxes), go to the system and pull the power cable from the matching powersupply. On the AX100 each powersupply only powers it's matching storage processor.

On the AX150 EMC changed this and the powersupplies are fully redundant for eachother (and you on that system you can log into NaviExpress on the other SP and under services you can select to reboot the peer/troublesome storage processor).

6 Posts

August 25th, 2009 05:00

Did try that method to reboot, however still having the same issue when it comes back up.

6 Posts

August 25th, 2009 08:00

yes, i do see conenctions to both. One managed the other unmanaged. I will double check the network again but on another unit I have removed it from the network entirely and connecting to it with a serial cable...same issue.

9.3K Posts

August 25th, 2009 08:00

On the SP that is up, if you check the "connections", do you see FC connections to both storage processors?

If not, check the fault led on the back of the SP in question. If it's blinking it means it never finished booting and you'll want to call into support to troubleshoot a no-boot issue.

If it does show connectivity, but you just cannot connect to the SP, troubleshoot the network connectivity; duplicate IPs, NIC cable, ports (on the switch, array, patch panel, etc), VLANs, etc.

9.3K Posts

August 25th, 2009 11:00

An unmanaged SP means the SP isn't reachable (from the other SP).

A few things to try:

- run the init tool to discover the system and then verify the SP's IP is what you expect

- swap NIC cables between the SPs and see if now you can reach the 'unmanaged' SP, but maybe no longer reach the one you were connecting to previously

- disconnect the suspect SP's NIC cable and try to ping it to make sure nobody 'hijacked' the IP

- use a laptop with a crossover cable, set the laptop's NIC to something in the subnet used by the SPs, directly connect to the suspect SP and try to ping it; if it works, try to pull up NaviExpress on it.

6 Posts

August 26th, 2009 05:00

thanks for the advice but how and where would i run the init tool and does that break anything?

9.3K Posts

August 26th, 2009 11:00

The init tool may be installed on the server that's connected to use the AX100, but it should also be on the CD that came with the system, or you can register on EMC's site (http://www.emc.com/dell-ax100support) and download the initialization utility from there.

No Events found!