Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 9th, 2011 05:00

Connect Brocade 825 HBA to EMC CX300 Array

Hello,

we have recently bought a Dell PE R610 with a Brocade 825 HBA. We need to connect this server to a EMC CX300 using Fibre Channel. We have followed the following steps:

1. We have physically connected the HBA Fibre ports to the CX300 Array and we can see the link up

2. We have installed Brocade HBA drivers, Brocade HCM, Powerpath 5.5 and Navisphere Agent on the windows 2003 server. (R610)

3. We cannot see any connection in the Navisphere Connectivity Status but we can ping from the server to the Array SP IPs

4. We cannot see any adapter in the EMC powerpath console.

Are we missing any step?

Thank you in advance.

1 Rookie

• 

1.2K Posts

May 9th, 2011 09:00

Sounds like the HBA needs configuring, use the management software or bios during post and check the settings. The CX300 has 2gb FC connections, so make sure the card is set to 2gb or auto negotiate. Also look for the topology settings. These will be something like point to point and loop. I can never remember which is which for direct connect but if there's an option to select both or auto or trial an error.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

May 9th, 2011 12:00

The Brocade HBAs do not support direct-connect. If you use them, you have to go through fiber channel switches.

If you don't have switches, you'll need to return the HBAs and I'd suggest to pick up some Qlogic HBAs (e.g. Qlogic QLE2562 (dual ported 8Gbit/s PCIe HBA)).

Edit: if the QLE2562's are a bit out of your price range, you can also go with the QLE2462 (4Gbit/s dual ported) as the CX300 only uses 2Gbit/s front end ports, so a 4Gbit/s HBA still gives you full speed.

7 Posts

May 12th, 2011 03:00

Thank you very much. So if I use a QLE2462 it should work, isn't it.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

May 12th, 2011 08:00

Correct; a QLE2462 should work just fine. Be sure to have an EMC certified firmware on there, but you can get that from the Qlogic site (look for OEM certified drivers and firmware and select EMC from that list).

No Events found!