Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

6 Posts

September 30th, 2018 03:00

Dell-EMC Unity and Cisco Nexus connectivity

Good morning everyone.

I've just taken delivery of some new Dell-EMC Unity 450F arrays, and am looking to configure networking to a pair of Cisco Nexus 9000 series switches, configured with a vPC peer link.

So far, this is what I've got configured:

• Unity port A0 - Cisco Nexux 1 port 1, VLAN 100
  • Unity port A1 - Cisco Nexus 2 port 1, VLAN 110
  • Unity port B0 - CIsco Nexus 1 port 2, VLAN 100
  • Unity port B1 - Cisco Nexus 2 port 2, VLAN 110

All ports are via 10GbE optical SPF+ (we have SPF+ modules in both the onboard CNA ports and a 4 port I/O module), and each port on the Nexus is configured as a iSCSI interface (4 in total). At least for the time being, all connectivity will be via block/iSCSI.

A few follow-up questions on the above:

1. Is this actually a valid configuration?
  2. Should I be looking to have the separate VLANs across each switch (i.e., A0 to Nexux 1 via VLAN100, and B0 to Nexus 2 via VLAN100)?
  3. Is it accurate that LACP and FSN cannot be configured for block iSCSI access?
  4. Would it be wise to utilize both the onboard CNA ports and I/O module ports for each controller (say, one on each) to provide extra redundancy?

Thanks in advance for any assistance with this.

Community Manager

• 

4.9K Posts

October 2nd, 2018 23:00

Is this actually a valid configuration?

Yes, it is.

Should I be looking to have the separate VLANs across each switch (i.e., A0 to Nexux 1 via VLAN100, and B0 to Nexus 2 via VLAN100)?

I don't think it is necessary. Block traffics of Dell-EMC Unity work based on ALUA which usually uses only an optimized path. It means neither A0 or B0 is usually/mainly used. So, we don't have to divide the two paths into a different subnet.

FYI: Asymmetric Logical Unit Access (ALUA)

capture-20181003-152408.png

Is it accurate that LACP and FSN cannot be configured for block iSCSI access?

Yes, you are correct. DELL EMC UNITY: HIGH AVAILABILITY A Detailed Review (P.15) mentions;

"Note that iSCSI interface cannot be created on ports that have link aggregation or FSN enabled. "

Would it be wise to utilize both the onboard CNA ports and I/O module ports for each controller (say, one on each) to provide extra redundancy?

It would be better but doesn't have to be so worried about since it is very unlikely that one I/O module/CNA card failure happens on an SP and the other SP has another problem at the same time. For example, "BLOCK EXAMPLE" in DELL EMC UNITY: HIGH AVAILABILITY A Detailed Review (P.17) uses the same I/O module on a SP as follows.

capture-20181003-152448.png

No Events found!