Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

2 Intern

• 

140 Posts

March 2nd, 2015 11:00

MD3200i Shutdown with a Hot Spare in operation

I have to shutdown our MD3200 to make some network modifications tied-  iSCSI and vCenter (replacing a switch)

One of the MD3200 drives failed and the hot spare is being used (RAID 5).

Is it safe to bring down the Md3200 while the hot spare is in operation ?

thanks

• 

7.1K Posts

March 2nd, 2015 13:00

Hello SJNAPL,

As long as the copy to the hard drive has completed successfully then you are good with powering down the MD3200i as all should come back up without any issues.  If your hotspare drive has not finished coping the data to it then wait for that to finish & then you can power it down.  Now when you go to replace the failed drive I would do it when the MD3200i is up & running.  

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

2 Intern

• 

140 Posts

March 3rd, 2015 06:00

the drive failed a few months ago, so I would assume the hot spare is is being used..

how can I tell if the failed drive has completed the copy to the hot spare..

also, when I get the new drive, and pop out the failed drive (while the md3200 is up and running), and insert the new drive, how long will the rebuild take

and

will the hot spare be available again (after the data is copied back to the new drive)

thanks

• 

7.1K Posts

March 3rd, 2015 09:00

Hello SJNAPL,

If the drive failed a few months back then it has most likely been copied to the hotspare.  You should be able to use MDSM & go to the Physical Tab & select the hotspare drive & it will list the drive that it is covering.

Once you get your replacement drive and insert it into your MD3200i the MD will sense the drive & should start the copy back to the replacement drive.  Now the time that it will take is hard to say as it depends on the size of the drive and how much activity is on the virtual disk.

Once the replacement disk has the data from the hotspare then the hotspare should go back to being a hotspare drive again & you can view this also in the summary window of MDSM& the Physical Tab as well.

2 Intern

• 

140 Posts

March 4th, 2015 07:00

ok,

attached is the screen,,it looks like the hot spare is the first disk in the enclosure ..

you will also not a controller failed,,

1 Attachment

2 Intern

• 

140 Posts

March 4th, 2015 08:00

I posted a response with a screen shot of MDSM but a message came up saying a moderator needed to check it first...it shows the first drive as the spare ,,,but also that one of the controllers failed

• 

7.1K Posts

March 5th, 2015 07:00

Hello SJNAPL,

So based on the screen shot it is hard to tell what is going on with your MD3200i.  Can I get you to click on the tools tab & gather a support log that way I can review it to see what is going on with both the drive and the controller.  I will send you a private message of where you can send the logs.

No Events found!