Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

January 21st, 2018 03:00

PowerVault MD3800i Administrator Password Reset

hi;
how to PowerVault MD3800i  Administrator password reset ?
Thanks.

• 

6.9K Posts

January 22nd, 2018 07:00

Hello ademkaras,

Do you have the Serial cable that came with your MD3800i? If you do have the cable then you can reset the password on your MD3800i. You will need to start Hyperterminal/Tera Term and configure the serial connection settings with the following parameters:

Baud rate: 115200

Data bits: 8

Parity bit: None

Stop bit: 1

Flow control: None

Once you are connected you will need to hit Ctrl S and then you will be brought to a Prompt with 4 choices. Once there you can select Administrator password reset. Now you will need to do the password reset on each controller using the serial cable.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

5 Posts

June 18th, 2019 22:00

Hi Dear,

If I do this process, it can save the data in this storage array. And I use the SAN is MD3200i.

• 

6.9K Posts

June 19th, 2019 06:00

Hello khaingzin,

Resetting the Administrator password will not harm the data on your MD3200.  Once the reset has been done on both controllers you should have access to your MD3200 using MDSM. 

2 Posts

March 7th, 2020 01:00

Dear DELL-Sam L

When i connect to MD3800i via serial cable, on terminal screen, it only show apostrophe, i cannot hit Ctrl S or anything.

Please give for me advice!

Thanks your advanced

• 

6.9K Posts

March 9th, 2020 09:00

Hello tri_salem,

Here are the setting that are needed to connect to serial.

1. Startup a terminal emulation program like PuTTY, Tera Term, Minicom, or HyperTerminal using terminal settings 115200-8-n-1.
  2. Send a from the terminal shell. To do this, use within HyperTerminal or PuTTY, or use from within Minicom on Linux systems.
    • When prompted for input within five seconds, press for the service interface menu.
      • The user will then be prompted for a password. The password is: supportDell
      • Then you should have 4 choices and one of them is the option to change password.

2 Posts

March 14th, 2020 02:00

Dear, Dell-Sam L

Thank you very much, already reset ok!

With Best Regards

Tri_Salem

5 Posts

May 5th, 2021 14:00

Sorry to revive this thread but I am having a similar issue. I get to the point where I need to press and when I do so, nothing happens. Almost like things freeze up. I do not get a password prompt

• 

6.9K Posts

May 5th, 2021 16:00

Hello ECIT,

Are you getting stuck at the same point on both controllers or just a single controller?  Are you using the serial cable that came with the system?  Are your controllers stuck in a lockdown state?

5 Posts

May 6th, 2021 05:00

I am getting the same result on both controllers. I believe that it is the correct cable (0VPNP6) based on what I researched online. Unfortunately I am not 100% familiar as I am new to the site and the previous engineer left the company. I am trying to get into it because the enclosure status LED is flashing red.

• 

6.9K Posts

May 6th, 2021 08:00

Hello ECIT,

You use MDSM (Modular Disk Storage Manager) to manage your system.  MDSM is installed on a windows system and you use it to connect to your MD3800i.  If you need to install MDSM it is located on the resource dvd.  Here is a link to the resource dvd if you need it. https://dell.to/3b8xpUv

5 Posts

May 6th, 2021 11:00

I am able to use that to get in and see the basic interface, however, I cannot make any changes as I get a message "To perform this operation the storage array password has to be validated"

• 

6.9K Posts

May 6th, 2021 12:00

Hello ECIT,

What you need to do now is to use the Modular Disk Configuration Utility to reset the system password. The password is deleted. Use MD Storage Manager to change the password or set a new one. MDCU is also on the resovrce dvd.

5 Posts

May 6th, 2021 13:00

I can feel how close we are... When I discover my array using MDCU, the configuration wizard and iSCSI Sessions buttons are greyed out. Only the Blink Array and Refresh Array Data buttons are active.

• 

6.9K Posts

May 7th, 2021 09:00

Hello ECIT,

Try changing the Baud rate to 9600 & see if you can connect via serial.

4 Posts

May 10th, 2021 23:00

a

No Events found!