Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

21 Posts

October 15th, 2018 09:00

Powervault MD3200i issue

I have an issue with a Powervault MD3200i. When I open MDSM, I see status unresponsive. Management Connections - In-Band. I get a message "Unable to communicate with device. Possible causes include the device is turned off. the device is disconnected.

In Devices - Storage Array shows a red squiggly line and it's not showing the RAID Array or any of the 4 drives. When I look at the 4 500 GB drives, I don't even see a green LED on the unit. I see all network connections on the back are lit up.  I pulled the drives, but don't have an adapter to see if they even power up.

I'm trying to figure out if the drives are bad since no green LED or something wrong with the Powervault with the RAID controller.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

• 

8.5K Posts

October 15th, 2018 11:00

Hi,

Do the logs show any other errors? Have you powered off and powered the whole md unit?

21 Posts

October 16th, 2018 07:00

Where do I find the logs? I don't see where any logs are in Modular Disk Storage Manager. I've checked under Devices and Setup and Edit, View, Tools and Help. I've already powered it off, checked the network connections and powered it back on and removed the drives and added them back. 

21 Posts

October 16th, 2018 09:00

Now I'm getting more information. If I click on Unresponsive for the Storage Array, I get another error message:

Array Error Message.PNGArray2.PNG

I'm really trying to figure out what I need to replace if there is an issue the Powervault. 

Thanks,

• 

6.9K Posts

October 16th, 2018 10:00

Hello theel1997,

Do your HDD’s have a dell on them or no?  When you login to MDSM if you look on the general tab toward the bottom on the left-hand side you should see the option to gather support information.  When you select this, it will great a support bundle that we can use to review your MD3200i. 

The error that you posted in your screen shots looks to be an issue with java.  Have you updated java on the host recently? 

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

21 Posts

October 16th, 2018 14:00

Storage Array.PNGInterface.PNG

21 Posts

October 16th, 2018 14:00

Hi,

Yes, the Hard Drive's have a Dell on them. They are Dell Enterprise Class 500 GB.  There is no General tab toward the bottom of MDSM.  All I see is Devices and Setup towards the top. I can go to Tools - Collect Support Data but there is no storage array to select to gather the logs. 

• 

6.9K Posts

October 17th, 2018 08:00

Hello theel1997,

Do you have the serial cable that came with your MD3200?  If you do, then can you do a serial capture from both controllers so that we can confirm that both controller are booting fully.  Here is how to capture the boot up:

Startup a terminal emulation program like putty, teraterm, minicom or hyperterminal using these terminal settings (115200-8-n-1).

Pull the controller from the system & wait about 3 minutes then insert it back into your MD3220i and you should see the controllers boot process.

21 Posts

October 19th, 2018 04:00

I'll have to locate a serial cable. I can do this live while the MD3200 is powered on. I don't need to shut down the MD3200 and then boot it back up. So this will test if both controllers are booting properly. I just need to figure out the issue so I can buy the replacement part. 

• 

6.9K Posts

October 19th, 2018 08:00

Hello theel1997,

You will have to reboot each controller while connected with the serial cable in order to capture the boot of the controller.  Capturing the output of the controllers will tell us if the controllers are in a lockdown state, boot loop, or fully booting.   

21 Posts

October 21st, 2018 17:00

Ok, I don't know what serial cable I need. What is the part number. I have a serial cable, but don't think it will work. I've looked up Part MN657. Is that correct?

• 

6.9K Posts

October 22nd, 2018 06:00

Hello theel1997,

Part# MN657 is the correct part# for the serial cable.  You can also use CT109 as well as this is the service kit for the serial cable.

21 Posts

November 13th, 2018 15:00

I finally got a chance to get the serial cable and plug into both controllers. I used putty and was able to unplug both controllers and plug in and received some information from the controllers in putty. I'm attaching a screen shot because there is a lot of information. Please let me know what the issue might be once you have gone over the screen shots.

First screen when bootingFirst screen when bootingLast screen when bootingLast screen when booting

• 

6.9K Posts

November 14th, 2018 07:00

Hello theel1997,

Looking at the screen shots that you provided your controller is in a lockdown state.  What is needed is to clear the lockdown so that the controller can boot correctly.  When we see this issue, support will need to access the controller using the shellUsr & run the lemClearLockdown command.  We can’t provide the password to the shellusr as that is only provide to support.

21 Posts

November 15th, 2018 06:00

Hi,

so how do I get support access to the controller if it's no longer under warranty. What are the steps involved. It seems that once the access is provided to the shellUsr, they will be able to clear the lockdown state and the controllers will boot, which might fix my issue that I have? 

• 

6.9K Posts

November 19th, 2018 10:00

Hello theel1997,

Since your system is out of support if you want support to remove the lockdown then you will need to pay the out of support fee.  If you don’t want to pay the out of support fee, then you might be able to do an internet search for how to clear lockdown state on an MD3200i.  Just so you know when you do a clear of the lockdown if done incorrectly then you can harm your data.  Therefore it is best to have support clear the lockdown.

No Events found!