Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 19th, 2009 12:00

Trouble replacing Disk in RAID 5 array

I have an SC1400 server with a 3 disk RAID 5 setup.  One of the disks failed about a year ago and I bought a new disk, installed and Rebuilt the image........No Problems.  I have had another disk fail, and when I attempted to install the new one, the new disk shows Fail and the 2nd disk in the array (which was working) now also shows to be failing.    All jumpers are still set as they were and the new disk (which is disk 0 on the Array is set properly.)  When  I put the new disk back in the box and installed the three drives back in the system, I still get a message that drive 0 and drive 1 are Failing.  I have attempted to reformat both 0 and 1 and they still show to be failing.

Luckily, everything is backed up, so I am just trying to get the thing back up again.  Is it unusual to have a second drive go down while replacing one?  The new drive is a Cheetah 15k   and is larger than the old drive but since the speed is the same, it should work.  All 3 drives spin up and when attempting to format the two drives that are failing, they spin up and after about 10 minutes of formatiing they show to have failed.  

Sorry, I meant to post this in the SCSI section.  Clicked on the wrong link.

53 Posts

November 27th, 2009 04:00

RoyGlenn99,

It sounds like you have a raid 5 array that has become corrupt.

The usual step would be to delete the array and re-create it.

The original failed disk should be replaced as it more than likely does have a fault that has been propagated to the other array members.

You have a backup of your data, so it should not be too much of a hindrance.

Obviously you will need to re-install the OS as well.

M@l

7 Posts

February 3rd, 2020 22:00

Seems like your RAID 5 array is corrupt so you can check the status of all your drives using a tool that will show the drive health status. You can rebuild the RAID using the same tool and recover your lost data to the new drive. After restoring all your lost data you can format the drives and setup RAID from the start. You can learn more about recovering data from a corrupted RAID 5 array from the following post: https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/raid5-data-recovery/

No Events found!