Highlighted
Raosrini
1 Nickel

DD Boost license on client side

If a DD is integrated with NBU or anyother vendor other than EMC , client side deduplication is free licensed or not when you

installed DDBoost plugin on (client side) it is cost of license? As I have read some articles showing as DDboost on destination(i.e onDD )alone

it is cost of license,and free for client side.. which one is correct ?? As I know EMC Avamar or Networker it is default client side deduplication is enabled but I am not sure with the other vendor. Could anyone answer me

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ble1
5 Iridium

Re: DD Boost license on client side

You charge on target.

0 Kudos
joe_harlan
1 Copper

I believe with NetBackup, Symantec does charge for a license in order to support client-side dedupe.  Check with your Symantec sales rep, but give it a try without a license first to be sure.

0 Kudos
esg71916
1 Copper

If Netbackup licensed with FETB (FrontEnd TB) licensing model, it's not charged. That model covers all things.

Also, If you would like to use DDBoost on client side, it's only supported on Netbackup Media Servers. It means you need to install Media Server bundle on client to backing up directly to DataDomain via DDBoost. Otherwise, if you install only NBU client bundle, all backup data flow from Client to Media Server over SAN/LAN, and deduped on Media Server and flow to DataDomain.

Only Netbackup MSDP (Media Server Deduplication Pool) is supported for Netbackup client side deduplication. Otherwise, depends of your environment, needs to create Shared DDBoost Storage Pools between media server installations.

If Netbackup licensed with Standard Licensing model, you need to buy DPOO (Data Protection Optimization Option) per Front End TB and additionally you need to buy Media Server license.

0 Kudos