Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2014 16:00

Data Domain Support for SMB2?

Hello,

Does Data Domain support SMB version 2.x ?

We write our SQL 2008 backups to a CIFS share hosted on a DD860 running DD OS 5.2.2.   Writing to the DD is extremely fast via our 10GE connections.   However, restoring data is extremely slow.

Note:  Both the SQL server and the DD have 10GE interfaces.  All traffic is layer 2.   SQL 2008 hosted on W2K8 R2.

For example, a backup of an 800 gigabyte database to a Data Domain based CIFS share finishes in <35 minutes.   Again, both the SQL server and DD are equipped with 10GE interfaces.   Restoring the same 800 gigabyte data set from the same Data Domain based CIFS share (to the same 10GE enabled SQL server) is estimated to take 10+ hours.   No obvious resources being strained during the restore.

Restoring the same backup data set from a NetApp based CIFS share (10GE) is estimated to finish in a more reasonable amount of time.  I believe about an hour.

The only obvious difference is the version of SMB being using to connect to the DD and NetApp.    The SQL server is using SMB1 when talking to the Data Domain and SMB2 when talking to the NetApp.    

I see a lot of literature out there about significant performance gains with SMB2.    I'd like to use SMB2 with the Data Domain but can't find anything that mentions support for SMB2.    Is it supported on any version of DD OS?

If SMB2 is not supported, is restore speed via SMB1 expected to be slow?   All of our hosts who mount the DD via NFS have very quick write AND restore speeds.

Still considering all options but would like to get to SMB2 if possible.

Thanks!

-R

33 Posts

September 28th, 2015 03:00

Data Domain will support SMB2 is DDOS 5.7

Are you using SQL Striping?

No Events found!