Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 14th, 2014 02:00

Data domain - megarac service processor problem - how to reboot IPMI card

I have DD2500 5.4.0.7  IPMI interface configured.

connection to ipmi card is available through ipmi over ssl and ssh, but when i try www i get "Unable to connect".

There is www service but now unavailable.

i need to reboot/reset ipmi card, but without rebooting whole DD.

could you give me any help, command, manual. Until now i found nothing.

even support answers that www is not supported, maybe but useful.

all the best tomasz

July 15th, 2014 03:00

Hi all

I opened support request in this case.

answer below

"There is no command to reboot the IPMI; the way is to reboot the DD.

Yes, it is recommended that you stop any backups before rebooting although not mandatory or a requirement.

To reboot the DD issue a “system reboot” command"

"Please keep in mind that IPMI Web GUI is not supported even though it may appear to function; these features normally fail in some way and are not guaranteed to work on all systems. Use of the web GUI (if available) is at one's own risk.

I can see you have managed to get access through SSH to the IPMI port, Kindly note that as I mentioned earlier the only officially supported interfaces for the BMC LAN port are CLI through SSL from a Data Domain Restorer or Linux host running ipmitool or the Data Domain Enterprise Manager interface.

Documents:

###########

181179 : BMC LAN port web GUI is not supported on EMC/Data Domain Products            

https://support.emc.com/kb/181179

183794 : Configuring IPMI and SOL on the DD2500            

https://support.emc.com/kb/183794 "

All the best

tomasz lipinski

208 Posts

July 14th, 2014 03:00

Hi Tomasz,

Just so I'm clear, you are trying to browse to the DD using the IPMI port/configuration?

The intention of IPMI is not to browse to the DD, some models did allow this but it was not an intended function of IPMI, so not something EMC support - yes, even though it does work on some models.

So, there is no value in rebooting the card.

The intention of IPMI is so that you can power the DDR back on when it is powered but powered off (DD OS is shutdown, lights are flashing etc…) or monitor a full system reboot via SOL.

No other functionality is intended or supported via IPMI.

·         You can achieve the “power on” via IPMI by logging into another DDR in the DDEM and going to ‘maintenance’ > ‘IPMI’ > ‘login to remote system’

o    Then select the IP of the remote system IPMI interface and use the IPMI username/password you created, then you will be greeted with a box to choose to “power on” that DD (if it’s already on then it will say “power off”).

·         The other functionality of IPMI, and if configured, is to watch a boot sequence of the remote DD when you have told that DD to boot with SOL enabled (serial over LAN), then you watch the entire system boot of the system that is booting via another DD and via an SSH session.

o    To use this, you need to set SOL on the system you want to watch;

o    system option set console lan

o    Monitor the remote DD system boot (via the IPMI interface) from the source DD that is up and running and you are logged into via SSH;

o    ipmi remote console ipmi-target IP.IP.IP.IP user ipmi_user password ipmi_user_password

o    Exit with @.

Regards,

Jonathan

July 14th, 2014 06:00

Thanks Jonathan,

Yours advice is helpful, but not resolve my problem.

I have problem with unresponsive ipmi web page only.

I am looking for procedure how reset/reboot ipmi card without rebooting whole DD system, to avoid it's downtime..

Some dell/hp server ILO's may be rebooted without touching state of running server.

all the best

tomasz

49 Posts

July 17th, 2014 09:00

Thomaz,

The Web GUI for IPMI on the DD2500 is not a supported tool, sorry. Some early systems were shipped with the web GUI enabled, however, in 9 times out of 10, the system will not respond to it.

The only supported IPMI access is through the CLI from another Data Domain system or through a Linux host using IPMItool and at least Version 2.0 for a DD2500.

If your BMC  is hung, that can be reset by Support without shutting down the system. IPMI issues MAY also be fixed by resetting the BMC.

July 22nd, 2014 00:00

Hi bobt

>>If your BMC  is hung, that can be reset by Support without shutting down the system. IPMI issues MAY also be fixed by resetting the BMC.

I assume IPMI and BMC is the same.

Yeap, i've asked precisely how to reset IPMI processor without rebooting DD system.

They answered that is not possible. Only one way to reset it is rebooting whole DD.

If you know procedure how to do it, please put it here.

I really want to know how to reset BMC even it is supported or not.

49 Posts

July 23rd, 2014 08:00

Tomasz,

The BMC/IPMI CLI command to reset the BMC is "ipmitool mc reset cold" but this is not a command that you can run from admin mode. It needs to be run from BASH and because of that, you need Data Domain support to do this.

Be advised that the reset command is not always 100% effective (due to various other conditions) and you still may have to reset the BMC/IPMI by shutting down the system and pulling the power sources.

1 Rookie

• 

68 Posts

Hi bobt@dd,

i run into the issue (no responding web gui for IPMI) on some DD160 installations i did the last weeks. So if I configured IPMI on the shared port (DD160 only supports this shared configuration) - how can i test if IPMI is correctly responding. I thought with a simple ping command i should get a responding IPMI configuration (IP-address)

Any advices on this issue?

BTW I used eth0a as shared IPMI port only - data is going over port eth0b

Regards,

Patric

49 Posts

Hi Patric,

Ping is turned off for the IPMI port. To test IPMI function, connect to the IPMI port on the DD from another DD system or from a Linux system running IPMITOOL version 1.5 and higher. You can also test connectivity to a DD over IPMI from DD Enterprise Manager.

Make sure that you set up an IPMI user on the DD first.

Refer to the DD OS  admin guide  https://support.emc.com/docu50994_Data-Domain-Operating-System-Administration-Guide-5.4.pdf?language=en_US Page 97

No Events found!