Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 3rd, 2016 10:00

How do you configure Avamar/DD managed file replication with ifgroups?

We use Avamar and Data Domain integration, versions 7.2.1-32 and 5.7.2.0.

What I know is that at some point, ifgroups were only supported for backups and not replication, however this was supported (I think) as of Avamar 7.2 and DD 5.7.  Since we're on those versions, we went ahead and set up a few of our replication interfaces (the 1Gb copper on the DD) in an ifgroup and gave them IPs.  We don't see any balancing, they're just using the one specified IP.

Part of the issue is that I'm not sure how to set up the static routes to deal with an ifgroup.  Currently, we have static routes that force traffic destined for target IP X to use interface Y and gateway Z.  I can set up multiple routes like this (and indeed we do for regular DD replication), but they are based on destination IP and not on source IP.  So after the initial conversation, how can I force Avamar/DD not to just pick a different source ifgroup IP, but also a different destination IP.

Bonus thought... I noticed that Avamar 7.3 has something called pool-based replication - maybe that would meet my needs better?  I need to get more than 1Gbps for Avamar replication via DD (some day we'll get more 10Gb ports but it could be awhile).

Sorry for the long question - thanks!

62 Posts

November 10th, 2016 05:00

Hi oldbustedjorn,

I referred this question/topic to a colleague as it's outside of my area of knowledge. Here's what they had to say:

=============================================

Ifgroup replication does work on DDOS 5.7.2.0.

This needs to be configured through the GUI in the "Configured Replication Paths" section of the DDBOOST, IP Network page or the "ifgroup replication" command in the CLI. All of the interfaces assigned to a replication ifgroup, need to be able to communicate to the destination IPs.

For more information please check the following document from page 45 onward:

https://support.emc.com/docu61798_Data-Domain-Boost-for-Partner-Integration-3.2.1-Administration-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

I am not clear on your question regarding static routes. You should be able to select a specific source and destination address. Could you please clarify?

=============================================

cheers, RIch.

62 Posts

November 10th, 2016 06:00

My colleague then went on to add the following:

========================================

Avamar Pool replication allows for Avamar backups to be replicated in parallel.

Traditionally, Avamar replication jobs replicate backups sequentially.

In order to configure this feature please refer to the following guide from page 41 onwards:

https://support.emc.com/docu69622_Avamar-7.3-and-Data-Domain-System-Integration-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

Avamar pool replication by itself means it does not provide load balancing and failover on the Data Domain network interfaces.

In essence, Avamar pool replication and ddboost ifgroups are distinctly separate functions. So you would combine both features to provide parallelisation of Avamar replication and use ddboost to handle the load balancing and failover.

========================================

No Events found!