Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 30th, 2015 13:00

How to manage CIFS share clients

While we create a few CIFS shares for backup clients, I have a question of how to manage the client list that created to access shares.

CIFS share accessed by Windows client has three entries (hostname, FQDN, IP address) for each server.  

#cifs share modify share01 /data/col1/cifsshare01 clients "srvrABC.yourdomain.com,srvrABC,10.24.160.116"

Sometimes, IP address could be changed due to network environment migration and we added new IP address to such CIFS share  ccess list but forgot to remove old IP address (might be reused by new server later).

Also, a Window server got retired and no cleanup job done to remove it (hostname, FQDN, IP address) from different CIFS shares client list.

My question is "How to clean them up without breaking anything". Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Harry

116 Posts

January 12th, 2016 12:00

harryshao,

My name is Patrick Betts and I'm with the Network/Replication team with DataDomain.  In this instance you would need to manually clean up the access list or use an * and manage permissions strictly via ACLs.  Using an * to allow all clients access would allow them to see the share but not necessarily access anything (ACLs).  If you need to specify certain clients to be the only clients with network access you'll need to manually clean up the access lists as needed.  Let me know if you have any further questions:

Best Regards,

Patrick Betts

Data Domain – NET/REPL

Lawrence.betts@emc.com

No Events found!