Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 20th, 2015 08:00

Steps to setup IPMI on a DD 7200

I'm new to Data Domain..............

I have 2 new DD 7200(s) and would like to understand the process of setting up the IPMI.

Do I need EMC to do the initial setup?

I do have access to the CLI...

Thanks...

Joe Despres

14.3K Posts

December 20th, 2015 14:00

You can set it up yourself, but unless you ever plan to use it (or wish to have it in case you have to use it) you can also skip their configuration. I noticed many people expect some kind of miracle port when using IPMI, but it is rather very basic/limited functionality (as designed) where you can kick one DD by means of other DD only (comes handy in case where access to DC is not so easy or there are no permanent personnel on the floor eg. lights-out management).

176 Posts

December 20th, 2015 18:00

So it's not like the RMM4 that Avamar has?

Thanks

Joe Despres

14.3K Posts

December 21st, 2015 00:00

I'm not familiar with RMM4@Avamar so I can't comment.  IPMI @DD provides basic check (status) and power management (off, on and recycle).  See DD docs, KB or other public notes about it (eg. IPMI – Intelligent Platform Management Interface)

173 Posts

December 21st, 2015 01:00

IPMI is same as DRAC or ILO, problem is that  it is not web and java based, you need special client to be able to manage via IPMI. If you don't have SW downloaded, you can manage power from other DD enterprise manager, but you don't have access to cli. You have to download client from link bellow if you require full funkcionallity.

ipmiutil - IPMI Management Utilities

Regards

Lukas

208 Posts

January 8th, 2016 01:00

Hi,

Maybe you have what you need but I'll chip in anyway.

On a DD7200, you have to share the IPMI configuration interface (bmc0a) with the single onboard 1Gbe port (ethMa) - referred to as "side band" because it's shared and not dedicated (out of band) like on some other DD models.

The functionality that you can leverage when IPMI is configured, is as stated here by Hrvoje, in that you can log into a DD that is powered but powered down and ask it to boot via the IPMI (ILO) port - this is easily performed in the DD GUI.

The IPMI user/password is not the same as the DDOS user/password.

Not only that but you can also configure SOL (Serial over LAN) on that IPMI interface, in essence SOL is native to Linux, so you can essentially see the full boot cycle of a remote DD in advance of the OS starting and bringing up the NICS to provide you a login using a Linux server as the host for the SOL connection/client.

You can also monitor a DD Booting via SOL on that IPMI interface (right from BIOS) via another DD system as the client.

You do need to enable SOL on that Data Domain before you need it to make use of it though.

Your DD model is supported - ref KBA: 180951

One thing to note in models such as your DD7200 is that because it is a side band IPMI config, you will need to ensure that you have a configuration on ethMa - or the NIC will not come live and your IPMI configuration will fail to apply or... You set a null IP on the interface and force it up. Not doing say will return an error saying that you need to connect a LAN cable - even though you already have.

E.G:

net config ethMa 0

net config ethMa up

Hope it helps - Jonathan

No Events found!