Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2018 02:00

Tapes Sync between DD and BRMS

Hello All,

Currently I have a set of AS400s backing up to a DD VTL via a BMRS library.

It works well, except for the fact that the BMRS database only keeps the tapes information before compression.

So, every day there is roughly 20TB of data going through. It uses 50 tapes. DD manages to compress it to around 600GB per day (2 tapes).

The problem is that, on BMRS side, it still shows that the backup used the 50 tapes. So basically now we are "running out of tapes" according to BMRS, but there are still about 50% tapes left in DD VTL.

Is there a way of correctly updating this information in a way that both sides are synchronized? Anyone with any experience in this?

Many thanks in advance

J

85 Posts

September 7th, 2018 06:00

You can create larger tapes on the VTL to use less tapes. Having lots of tapes only help if you have lots of Logical partition to backup, or lost of different retentions.   It's going to be work, but i would create some new bigger tapes, and then eject and remove the older small tapes.

2 Posts

September 10th, 2018 00:00

Thanks for your feedback. I think in this case it's more a matter of communication between both libraries (BRMS and DD VTL) than anything else. With larger tapes you would  fix it up until a certain point, and then the problem would re-occur.

The compression always happens and it will eventually end up using less tapes than the pre-compression, which is the information that BRMS is keeping.

I need it (BRMS) to be aware of the tapes state AFTER compression.

Again, thanks!

J

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

October 24th, 2019 17:00

What tapes have you defined on DD

No Events found!