Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

October 24th, 2013 08:00

DPA 6 SP1 alerts

Greetings,

I have an ancient DPA 5.5 server that needs to be put out to pasture so I set up a new DPA 6.1 server on a 64-bit Red Hat Linux VM. On DPA 5.5, I have a few basic reports and alerts set up, but those were set up years ago by EMC professional services. I do not want to migrate anything from 5.5 to my new 6.1 server; I want to start 6.1 from scratch. I have the licenses to do this.

So I installed and licensed DPA 6.1 yesterday. Now, I am struggling to set it up to send me an immediate alert whenever an Avamar backup fails. I believe I need to set up a custom policy rule, then assign it to an alert. What I would like to do is get more info out of 6.1 alerts then I get from 5.5. In 5.5, all I get is an alert that an Avamar backup failed that only has the name of the failed client in it, not any of the details regarding the cause of the failure, so I am hoping to get some more details on failures of Avamar backups from DPA 6.1, but I am at a loss as to how to do that.

Any tips on how to accomplish this will be appreciated. I have reviewed the admin guide and been playing around with DPA 6.1 this morning and yesterday, but the learning curve is steep. If anyone has any tips on how to set up this type of immediate alert plus any pointers to reference materials on how to use DPA 6.1, please let me know.

October 24th, 2013 20:00

Please consider moving this question as-is (no need to recreate) to the proper forum for maximum visibility.  Questions written to the users' own "Discussions" space don't get the same amount of attention and questions can go unanswered for a long time.

You can do so by selecting "Move" under ACTIONS along the upper-right.  Then search for and select: "Data Protection Advisor Support Forum".

1.2K Posts

May 9th, 2014 07:00

I don't know if you found a solution, but one approach is to create a custom template and hook in more fields.  Find a template that has the Avamar "Job" field or "Group" field, depending on what you need.  Copy the template to a custom template, then remove the unwanted fields.  This worked for my alerts, since I only have one Avamar domain and I want to ignore the same five fields in each report.  Let us know if this helps, or what your solution was!

Karl

20 Posts

May 16th, 2014 14:00

I had to open a service request with EMC. The problem I had with getting alerts to work on failed Avamar backups turned out to be the result of a software bug. The fix required me to install an update.

No Events found!