Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 26th, 2011 23:00

DPA v5.6 - Minimum Specs

Hi,

We are running EMC Data Protection Advisor v5.6 in a virtual machine with 1 x vCPU and 4GB of RAM on VMware ESX 4.1. The user interface seems very sluggish and RDP'ing to the server shows the CPU being maxed out at 100% for extended periods.

What are the minimum specs for DPA and what spec's are others using to achieve adequate performance for DPA users?

Cheers,

Simon M.

59 Posts

May 30th, 2011 07:00

Hi Simon

If you're only monitoring 700 backup clients, the sizing guide estimates a VM with about 3 Ghz of CPU power and 3GB RAM/memory.

As the Reporter is the one that is using most of the resources, I would recommend that you open an SR with Support and submit the reporter.log, publisher.log and analysisengine.log for investigation.

I suspect that you either have scheduled report that runs regularly (that is possibly large in size or inefficient) or you have an anaylsis assigned that runs regularly and could be optimised.

HTH

-E

59 Posts

May 27th, 2011 05:00

Hi Simon

The DPA Server sizing is dependant on various factors - the minimum will only be sufficient for a very small environment (eg. less than 200 backup clients).

Your local BRS TC should be able to assist you with a DPA Server Sizing. If you provide some of the info below, I can give you an estimate :-

What is your DPA currently monitoring ?  eg.

- number of backup clients ?

- number of ESX servers ?

- number of collectors  ?

- number of file server ?

- number of FC switches ?

etc

Also, what backend database platform is your DPA using and is it within the same VM as the DPA server ? and I assume the DPA VM is running Windows 64bit OS.

The 'sluiggishness' is probably caused by the 100% CPU - have a look at which 'process' is using the most CPU in Task Manager and then look into the appropriate log file of the process to identify what it is happening in that process.

HTH

-E

6 Posts

May 29th, 2011 21:00

Elvin,

To answer your questions:

1. Backup Clients = Approx 700
  2. ESX Servers = 0
  3. Collectors = 0
  4. File Servers = 0
  5. FC Switches = 0

The backend database is running on SQL Server 2005 on a SQL instance installed on a separate virtual host. The process that is taking the 100% CPU is DPA_Reporter.exe.

Cheers,

Simon M.

No Events found!