Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 16th, 2013 10:00

DPB 6.x Sizing recommendations

Seems the DPA 6.1 checklist and installation documentation fail to specify any CPU, Memory, and storage requirements for DPA components (datastore and server).

Perhaps I'm just not looking in the right places, I would appreciate it if someone could point me to the right document or provide some basic server sizing requirements.

Thanks, Craig

66 Posts

December 16th, 2013 10:00

Hi Craig,

The minimum requirements (which I believe are specified in the compatibility guide) are 2 CPUs / cores and 8GB RAM. If running the DPA Application and Datastore server on one host (only intended for lab testing, never for production) then you require 4 CPUs / cores and 8GB RAM.

To get a customized recommendation for your environment your EMC representative can access the DPA Sizing Estimator (v1.7 is the latest) and can use that to help you correctly size your DPA servers for your specific environment (currently the sizing estimator is only available to EMC employees and partners). Do you have an EMC representative that you can discuss this with?

Regards,

Gareth

5 Posts

December 16th, 2013 13:00

Thanks Gareth. I should be able to get assistance from EMC on the sizing the DPA implementation. -Craig

19 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 01:00

From the DPA Software Compability Guide it says:

Example:

DPA 6.1

DPA Server platforms

Support for 64-bit operating systems only

Minimum requirements are: For Separate Application and Datastore: 8 GB RAM, 2 cores / CPUs; For Combined Application and Datastore: 8 GB RAM, 4 cores / CPUs (Co-hosted deployments are not recommended for production environments). The DPA Sizing Estimator provides more information on the memory, CPU, and disk size requirements

Source:

https://support.emc.com/docu45726_Data-Protection-Advisor-Software-Compatibility-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

For the sizing estimator , contact an EMC sales rep. And as mentioned only use Combined DPA for test.

Example:

Our production env with 5 NetWorker servers and 3 DataDomains and around 6000 clients is monitored by DPA 6.0  separate installation  we got recommendation from EMC to size it:

App Server:  (Virutal) Linux OS , 32 GB ram , 8 CPU  50 GB disk

DB Server (Virtual)  Linux OS , 16GB ram , 4 CPU, 500GB disk

February 6th, 2014 10:00

You need EMC to send someone in and put your details in their spreadsheet.  In our environment of 1400 clients they came up with datastore and application server each running on a VM with 2 CPU and 8GB; I thought this was an underestimate as did several colleagues who have worked with DPA before.  On initial assessment we seem to have been right and I would suggest going for higher performance servers than EMC recommend if you can.

No Events found!