I need a help from EMC Networker side.
I have Networker version - 184.108.40.206
VBA Proxy - 220.127.116.11
I would like to upgrade proxy from 18.104.22.168 to 22.214.171.124 as per recommendation from EMC.
There are 3 external proxies as well.
Mu understanding of proxy upgrade steps are
1. Redeployment of external proxy
2. Upgrade of VBA
If i just upgrade VBA, external proxies will be auto registered upon upgrade?
What are the things that needs to be taken care while redeployment of exeternal proxy?
Will there be any kind of impact on already backed-up images through that proxy?
Or is there any standard procedure documents/ steps available for upgrade.
I think this is in the wrong forum section.
With the VBA Appliance version you are looking to upgrade to, VBA 126.96.36.199, it looks like you may need to also upgrade the NetWorker Version to 8.2.4 to ensure compatibility of both versions. Please view the online compatibility guide CompGuideApp If you need to upgrade NetWorker Server, can I suggest to look into upgrading to NetWorker 9.1.0 as there is a new procedure to conduct VMware Backups where VBA Appliance is only used for restores and you will need to deploy vProxy.
There will be no impact on the already backed-up images as the proxy acts as the data transporter, NetWorker Storage Node equivalent, and all the client backup information is hosted on the VBA Appliance. This is why there is an upgrade process for the VBA Appliance rather than a re-deployment.
You will need to delete the existing proxies and redeploy these. When you redeploy you will need to register the proxy to the VBA Appliance.
I have personally always upgraded the VBA Appliance first and then looked at the redeploying the proxies.
When re-deploying the proxies, you can use the same hostname and IPs already used as you will need to delete the existing proxies prior to re-deployment. The proxies will need to be on the compatible version of the VBA Appliance hence why the re-deployment,
You can view the procedure steps within the NetWorker VMware Integration guide. Below is the high level steps to upgrade VBA Appliance and Proxies are:
1. Run an Integrity Check on the VBA Appliance (vSphere Web GUI)
2. Log into VBA Appliance with ssh session, check that the Integrity check has completed i.e. ensure Checkpoint and HFSCheck have completed without any errors before proceeding
3. Shutdown VBA Appliance
4. Take snapshot of the VBA Appliance
5. Power On VBA Appliance
6. Attach the ISO to VBA Appliance
7. Log into VBA Appliance Web Interface (https://<VBA_Appliance>:8543/ebr-configure)
8. Go to Upgrade Tab and ensure it detects the Upgrade Image
9. Click on Upgrade, this should automatically upgrade the VBA Appliance for you, upon upgrade completion the VBA Appliance will be shutdown
10. Power On VBA Appliance
11. Verify backup and restore functionality before deleting the VMware Snapshot created in step 4
12. Shutdown and delete Proxies
13. Redeploy/Deploy Proxy
14. When Proxy is running, re-register to VBA Appliance
I prefer re-registering through the Deployment method to ensure it re-registers correctly to the VBA Appliance instead of running the CLI command as shown in the VMware Integration Guide.
Thanks a lot for your detailed steps and clear explanation.
I got it till upgrading VBA appliance
From external proxy redeployment, do i need to download new proxy appliance of the same version as of VBA and need to deploy OR
Can i deploy the same existing version.
Unfortunately you are not able to use your existing proxy version as this will not be compatible with the new VBA Appliance version.
You will need to download the VBA Proxy OVA file to redployment the version that matches the VBA Appliance.