Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

April 3rd, 2018 08:00

Bitlocker could not be enabled

Hello.

I have a DELL Latitude 5480 and I am trying to enable bitlocker on Windows 10 but it coming up with the below:

"Bitlocker could not be enabled. The bitlocker encryption key cannot be obtained from the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) and PIN. C: was not encrypted"

Troubleshooting steps:

- Ensured TPM is enabled in BIOS and it is

- TPM is showing as active via tpm.msc

- Via gpedic.msc > Comp config > Admin templates > Windows Components > Bitlocker drive encryption > Operating System Drives > Require additional authentication at startup. This is enabled and the tickbox next to 'Allow bitlocker without a compatible TPM' has been ticked. 

Can anyone advise any other methods of fixing this please?

Thanks,

Dan

156 Posts

April 18th, 2018 16:00

Hi Dan96,

It sounds like you have checked several of the boxes that are required for BitLocker to be properly enabled. Could you validate if you have "PTT" enabled, or if this TPM is running in TPM 2.0 mode?

Have you attempted to "clear" the TPM within TPM.MSC?

Can you validate if you are also running within UEFI or Legacy BIOS mode? This can be found within MSinfo32 under "System Summary" in the "BIOS Mode" field. 

We may also need to ensure that your BIOS is up to date. it may be beneficial to run the Dell Command | Update utility on your device to ensure that BIOS, as well as all relevant chipset drivers are fully up to date. the latest version as of this posting for the 5480 is available here:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=X79N4

Let us know if you are still having issues. if you have a ticket open with Dell Support, feel free to Direct Message/Private Message me the ticket number, and we will see what we can do to assist :)

15 Posts

September 17th, 2018 12:00

I had an error like this in our office PC, you can enable TPM and TPM appears active but there is no module in the TPM header.

1 Message

November 26th, 2020 15:00

Thank you, clearing TPM worked for me.

1 Message

March 12th, 2021 11:00

How can't not desibl

1 Message

April 6th, 2021 16:00

Even at three years in the future the quote from Dan96: "Have you attempted to "clear" the TPM within TPM.MSC?" fixed the issue for me!  

Was using Sophos Endpoint Encryption on an Dell G3 and was receiving the same error after installation. Once the tpm was cleared and the unit rebooted, Bitlocker kicked in and the drive encrypted successfully. I had a handful of laptops with the same issue and glad you guys posted this back in the day. 

Thank you. 

No Events found!