Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

May 13th, 2018 11:00

XPS 13 9370 eDrive for boot SSD

Hello everyone,

does the new XPS 13 9370 support hardware encryption (with compatible NVMe drives) through bitlocker, for boot disk ?

According to this: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/Memory-Storage/HOW-TO-MANAGE-ENCRYPTION-OF-960-PRO/m-p/289909/hi... Samsung found that bios needs a software update to be able to manage  eDrive hw encryption on NVMe for boot SSDs; is the new XPS 13 affected ?

IF yes, is Dell going to update XPS 13 9370 bios to address the issue ?

Thank you in advance

156 Posts

May 14th, 2018 08:00

Hi Alex_l83

I am not seeing specific information from Samsung on what manufacturers will need to change to address this issue. I'm going to take this thread back to our engineering teams and see if we can reach out to our manufacturing and procurement contacts to get information on what will need to be changed.

Do you happen to have a ticket open with Dell Support so we can more easily track this?

156 Posts

May 14th, 2018 10:00

Hi Alex,

I've raised an internal ticket with our development teams, we're tracking down what may need to be done for the XPS 13 9370 to support after-market drives. 

Currently out of the factory, we disable eDrive within the image that Dell lays down when it leaves the factory. we are seeing if the OEM-specific drives have these disabled via firmware as well. 

I will definitely keep you posted here :) once you get the system, if you can DM me the service tag, i can get a ticket open on it. 

4 Posts

Thank you very much, wonderful support!

I’ll send you a DM as soon as I get my system delivered.

This issues seems limited to NVMe drives, not SATA; the problem, by reading articles over the net (so take it as t is) seems to be linked to the fact that the efi security communication protocol is not effective (or even able to speak to) NVME drives; I’ve literally read that while encryption of NVMe as non boot drives works, it’s not working for system drives because there is no way for firmware to boot them while hw encrypted with eDrive.

4 Posts

Hello Dale,
Thank you very much for your support; I’d gladly open a support ticket because I see this as a very important topic and would like to take advance of hardware encryption with eDrive, unfortunately my XPS 13 9370 is being shipped and I have no serial number to open a ticket request.

Delivery should happen next week, if there is any way to open a ticket without supplying a Serial number, I will gladly optimize times and take the opportunity.

Thank you in advance

Ale
No Events found!