Go to Solution

Closed

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

August 4th, 2023 16:00

Changing the password of an account used for discovery

Hello,

Historically it has been an issue if we want to rotate the password of an account on an iDRAC that was originally used for discovery that it will result in the managed server showing up as disconnected in DELL Open Manage Enterprise.

Is their a recommended way of doing this short of having to remove the server from OME. Change the iDRAC password then having to re-run discovery on the server? Just a bit repetitive if you have a few hundred servers to say the least.

Their must be a way to change the saved password within OME for the account that was used for discovery

Thanks

16 Posts

August 7th, 2023 07:00

This username/password change is a repeating question here in the forum.
It is not good designed in OME.

Here is my process to change the password for multiple devices with the same user.

-Create an export of your devices managed by OME
-extract a list for all Drac Ip addresses you want to change the password on
-Create a new Discovery job:

- Monitor -> Discovery
- Select the type: Server/Drac
- add your user and the new password
- add all the IP you have extracted before.

You can use the same Discovery job for discovery more devices later, select and just edit it and select other devices.
But please do not change the username and password otherwise the devices you scanned before will stop communicating.
It’s not really possible to find out what username was used for importing a device and when.

If you give the Discovery Job a speaking name, you have later a way to see on the device which user and password version it was discovered with.
(for example "Discovere-User-root-Dec23")
The Jobname is listed on the Device Overview page under "Discovery_Job Information”

Again, this user and password topic is verry bad implemented in OME and I have the feeling, Dell does not want to change something here.
For me this is a high-level security and compliance subject and should get more attention.
Those accounts have permission to shut down or delete all servers in your company.

Discovery_screenshot.jpg

• 

3.7K Posts

August 6th, 2023 18:00

Hello thanks for choosing Dell. I wonder if this would help:

Specify multiple devices by importing data from the .csv file

https://dell.to/3OGWRol

No Events found!