Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

July 30th, 2018 02:00

OpenManage Enterprise - Tech Release - Syslog Functionality

Hi,

We have configured syslog within Application Settings > Syslog Configuration but the syslog server is not receiving any messages, I've tried using a different syslog server to test but still nothing is being received despite attempting to generate messages forcefully by trying to login with a false username several times.

The appliance is locked down so I can't see what the syslog configuration looks like other than from within the application itself.

Has anyone been able to get the syslog service to work from OpenManage?

Kind regards,

Jon

1K Posts

August 7th, 2018 03:00

Hi Job,

Looking at your question, it seemed like the lockout is happening on your OpenManage Enterprise appliance and you are expecting that log to be forwarded to Syslog Server. The purpose of Syslog functionality is to have the events that are received in appliance to be forwarded to Syslog server.

OpenManage Enterprise acts as a single point of reference for all your servers from where the events are forwarded to Syslog server instead of each server being configured individually.

You will need to create Alert policy from Alert Policies page and selecting Syslog while creating the policy.

2 Posts

August 9th, 2018 02:00

Thanks for the helpful response, I'm now able to configure syslog forwarding for alerts.

This seems to only happen for alerts generated by monitored systems however and not the OpenManage appliance itself. I would like to be able to forward syslog events such as logging into the OpenManage application, activity performed within the OpenManage application and logging out of the OpenManage application. Also any failed login attempts to the OpenManage application.

It does not seem that this functionality is possible. It should theoretically be possible as the application sits on top of a Linux operating system and these activities should be possible.

1K Posts

August 10th, 2018 02:00

Thanks for your response. We will pass this request along to the right set of people and see if this can be implemented in an upcoming release.

Do keep these requests coming.

1 Rookie

• 

37 Posts

September 20th, 2018 13:00

I’d also like to request this functionality.

Also it’s be worth adding a note to the settings page to explain that it’s a syslog agrigater rather than a syslog node.

No Events found!