Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2012 10:00

Discovery Issue

I have several servers that I cannot access the OMSA plug in from the Essentials console.

I have removed the servers from the db, removed them from the discovery ranges and re-discovered them with no luck.  The only thing accessible from Essentials is iDRAC.  I have also uninstalled and reinstalled OMSA on some of the boxes.

This was an upgrade from ItAssistant so all snmp settings are in place and correct.

There is no firewall running.  Network Discovery is turned on.

OS varies, from W2K3 to W2K8 x64, plus one Windows Storage Server.

Boxes vary - R510's, NX3000, PE2950, and PE1950.

I think I've covered everything that the FAQ's mention and all that I've read in the forums.  Does anyone have anything additional I might try to remedy this?

Thanks!

KBeau

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

April 11th, 2012 11:00

Yeah, update that one.

So are you good now?  Or are you saying that the TS tool returns good SNMP test reuslts *AND* the test results include OMSA v 6.5.0 in the *result set* of the tool?

Rob

387 Posts

One of them is at a very old version!  5.5.  So that certainly needs to be updated!

Another has been resolved, I can now access the OMSA from the Essentials console.

All others are OMSA v 6.5.0

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

Hey KBeau,

So can you tell me what results you see when you run the Dell Troubleshooting tool against the problematic managed node (target)?  You should see the version of OMSA displayed in the result set when you run the SNMP test.  What version is displayed?

Thanks,

Rob

387 Posts

April 11th, 2012 13:00

Rob - I'm saying that the TS tool returns successful SNMP test results AND the test results indicate OMSA v 6.5.0

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

Ok, so TS tool works ok.  That is good.

Try this:

1. Confirm that the snmp comm string on the managed node matches the comm string in your OME discovery wizard.  Note it is *case* sensitive.  This is *often* the case :)

2. If that looks good.  I would delete the discovery range and create a new range with *just* one of these servers.

See how that looks.  (you may be able to export the discovery log from the Tools screen in OME.  I think there is an 'arrow' export icon for this.

Rob

387 Posts

snmp strings match.

Let me ask you this though . . . . .I not only have the discovery range set as ip  xxx.xx.x.*

I also have discovery ranges set with the host names that would also fall under the ip address range.  This was brought over from the ItAssistant.  Does it have to be one way or the other?  Or can any given server be listed in the ranges by its host name AND by its IP address?

I think the reason I was doing it this way was because of  clustering and hearbeat ip addressing.

I hope I'm explaining this so you understand!

Thanks Rob,

KBeau

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

April 11th, 2012 14:00

Ok, a few things.

1. So the server is discovered and do you see lots of inventory on the inventory page when you click on the server in the device tree?

2. You are saying that the "Server Administrator" hyperlink is not active, is that right?

3. When you right click the server do you see the Server Administrator launch point ?

4. How many nics on that box?  Can run OMSA remotely from the OMSA server using that IP addr?

thx

Rob

387 Posts

I found a Remote Enablement tool?  Is that what you are talking about Rob?

I ran that test and it failed.  I used both the domain admininstrator account and the local administrator account credentials.

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

mmmm, I guess try to delete that single server to start with....we will see.

387 Posts

Okay, thanks Rob.

I AM able to get to OMSA on the remote box when I type that in the browser of my management server.

387 Posts

1.  Yep, I see all sorts of Inventory.

2.  Correct, the hyperlink is not active.

3.  No, when I right click on the server I do not get the Server Administrator launch point.  Only the Remote Desktop, the iDRAC and the warranty status.

4.  Two nics, both on separate and dedicated vlans.  Not sure what you mean about running OMSA remotely?  How can I do that from the management server using the IP address if I'm not connected via RDP?

K

387 Posts

Wait, I will also delete that one particular server from my Devices list as well?  Delete all servers from my Devices list?

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

#4 just type in https://ipAddr:1311 to see if OMSA comes up on your remote box.  If it does not come up from a remote browser, you may have an OMSA config problem.

387 Posts

When I deleted all the discovery ranges, it removed all the servers from my Devices list anyway.

2 Intern

• 

2.8K Posts

No, that's not what I'm talking about, sorry.

Try this:

on your OME server, open up a web browser

go to https://ipAddr:1311, where ipaddr is the ip of the managed node (target) where the OMSA hyperlink is inactive.

See if OMSA starts up when you do that.

thx!

No Events found!