Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 31st, 2018 13:00

Migration to OME 2.4 on 2016 server - all Devices Unknown

I migrated to OME 2.4 on a Windows server running 2016 from OME 2.2 running on 2008 R2 server. I have re-used teh original ip address of the 2008R2 server after the migration/upgrade and performed a reboot. All of my devices now appear as unknown. I've open an AnyAny rule in the server firewall, and applied teh registry fix related to enabling TLS noted here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3140245/update-to-enable-tls-1-1-and-tls-1-2-as-a-default-secure-protocols-in

Attempts to update status polling, discovery, and inventory on the devices doesn't make a difference. I read that server 2016 is a supported os for OME 2.4 - does anyone have any other suggestions?

September 4th, 2018 20:00

I found the issue. As it turns out, the users guide for v2.4 has a Q&A section that lists my exact issue :-)

Page 334:

Question: When trying to discover the Dell devices using WS-Man protocol, an error message is displayed, stating a failure to connect with basic authentication. What do I do?

Answer: This issue is because, the authentication type Basic was not enabled on the OpenManage Essentials system.

Run the following to confirm current values:

winrm get winrm/config/client

Note if the value for 'Basic' = 'false'   {<--- this is no good}

Run the following to enable this:

winrm set winrm/config/service/auth '@{Basic="true"}'

So, simply changing this vaue to 'true' and then re-running a discovery on systems in OME resolved this issue.  

• 

6.2K Posts

August 31st, 2018 16:00

Hello

Windows Server 2016 is a supported operating system for OMEssentials 2.4. You can find the manual and compatibility matrix on the OMEssentials support page:

http://www.dell.com/openmanagemanuals/

You made a lot of changes. I'm not sure what exactly you did, but changing the operating system and OME version at the same time creates a lot of potential problems. I would suggest trying to perform a new discovery on a single IP address or small range for testing purposes. This should help you determine if OME is functioning correctly and able to write to the database. If it can do a new disovery then it may be an issue accessing the old database information.

Thanks

August 31st, 2018 19:00

Along with this, also try editing the existing discovery ranges and submit the credentials. Perform rediscovery of those ranges post editing.

September 1st, 2018 07:00

I tried removing & re-adding a single server (using WS-MAN since it was an iDrac) and it never added back in. So I verified that the account used to connect to the database has db_owner rights on the OMEssentials database and then ran a repair on the OME program. A popup appeared that read 'A database from an earlier Essentials installation is detected. Click Yes to use existing database. ...'

I select Yes and allow the repair process to complete, reboot the server, and confirmed that no improvement was made. When I attempt the repair again, I receive the same message that the database is from an earlier version.

It may be worth noting that the OME web console does indicate the version to be 2.4.

• 

6.2K Posts

September 4th, 2018 09:00

What version of SQL is being used?

No Events found!