Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 10th, 2022 21:00

Poweredge 2950 III - cannot update firmware

Hi all,

I have an old poweredge 2950 with RAM upgraded to 64GB. I have updated BIOS to 2.4.3 using raw EXE files and it recognises RAM and works OK.

I am trying to update the rest of the firmware (BMC/ESM, perc 5/i etc) but it is not possible with Dell Repository Manager 1.6 because it cannot connect to ftp.dell.com. Higher versions of DRM do not support 2950 model.

I tried booting from SLI ver 1.1 DVD and execute the respective linux .BIN files but I get the error :

line 123: source: buildVer.sh: file not found

because bash shell is higher than 4.0 version.

Can you please instruct as how to proceed with updating the rest of the firmware? 

In particular is there any linux-based livecd (or linux distribution I should install) I could download and execute the necessary .BIN files for updating the firmware?

Many thanks 

Anthony 

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

May 11th, 2022 03:00

PowerEdge 2950 is very old server and updates might not work with latest operating systems. If you have a supported windows or Linux operating system you can update using individual DUP or SUU

May 11th, 2022 20:00

Dear DELL-Shine K,

thank you for the hint, I ended up digging out old CDs and after installing Windows 2003 server I managed to install BMC updates. I then installed Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS and it works OK.

Thanks a lot 

Anthony

No Events found!