Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 18th, 2018 18:00

R510 -> Platform Update -> No Update Available

Hello,

I am attempting to update the firmware of a PowerEdge R510.

I accessed the Dell Unified Server Configurator -> Platform Update -> Launch Platform Update.

The error is, "No update available. Ensure Windows catalog, and Dell Update Packages for Windows are used".

The R510 does not have any hard drives installed; I'm only trying to update the firmware.

Thank you.

Platform UpdatePlatform UpdateNo update availableNo update availablePlatform Update Current VersionsPlatform Update Current Versions

August 26th, 2018 18:00

I had thought if I copied the files from the SUU image into a directory on the Linux Live image then all I would have to do is boot the live image and change into the directory containing the files from the SUU.  Then, run, suu.  But, that didn't work.

What is, https://dell.app.box.com/v/BootableR510?  Is that affiliated with Dell?  I haven't heard of that site.

Thank you.

• 

8.4K Posts

August 20th, 2018 08:00

Nohellphiccup,

Officially Dell has stopped supporting 11th generation systems on the Catalog file due to Lifecycle Controller memory limitations only in 11G servers, as you can read here.. In response Dell had to remove all 11G firmware and BIOS DUPs from the Lifecycle Controller Catalog. The change was necessary due to the Catalog's growing size as it also added BIOS and firmwares from various new 12G, 13G and now 14G servers being introduced.

Note that Lifecycle Controller Firmware Update continues to work normally with all 12G - 14G servers. As well tools like OpenManage Essentials (OME) or System Center Updates Publisher (SCUP) will still identify and push applicable 11G updates since they can push and run DUPs "in-band" on the target host's operating system that has no memory limitations like the Lifecycle Controller.

Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. 

https://kb.dell.com/infocenter/index?page=content&id=SLN310452

Hope this helps.

August 20th, 2018 12:00

Hello Chris,

Yes, that helps.  Thank you.

Would you be able to recommend the best method to update the firmware for a R510? 

Thank you.

• 

8.4K Posts

August 24th, 2018 06:00

You can use the Server Update Utility, located here. That one is windows based, if you have another OS let me know.

August 25th, 2018 15:00

Hello Chris,

Is there a version for Linux?

Thank you.

August 25th, 2018 19:00

In addition to the SUU image (SUU-LIN32_17.12.200.229.ISO ) for the R510, I will download the Linux Live image (SLI_3.0.0_A00.iso).

Then, my plan is to use Rufus to create a bootable USB drive of the Linux Live image (SLI_3.0.0_A00.iso).

After Rufus creates the bootable media I will mount the bootable media on my workstation.  And, confirm it looks all right.  Next, I'll create a new directory called, suu, on the bootable media.  Then, I'll extract the contents from the SUU image (SUU-LIN32_17.12.200.229.ISO) and copy the contents (the files from, SUU-LIN32_17.12.200.229.ISO) into the directory named, suu, on the bootable media.  

My hope is that I will be able to boot the Linux Live image and somehow point it to the directory named, suu.  I will try that tomorrow and update.

Actually, no, I am wrong.

That link does not list the PowerEdge R510 as a "compatible system"; so I'm still looking for the correct link.

29 Posts

August 26th, 2018 15:00

Hi,

if you wish, you can also use the all in one bootable ISO from here:

https://dell.app.box.com/v/BootableR510

Smaller download and bootable.

Hope this helps.

No Events found!