Highlighted
2 Bronze

1066 FSB and 925EX chipset

the 5xx series of cpu's are available now with only the one 3.46 ee at 1066 fsb -- the 530 540 550 etc are 800 fsb --  does dell use 2 mb's in the xps gen 4 --  one with 800 fsb and one with 1066 Fsb ?
I understand that the next gen of intel cpu's 6xx and 7xx will all work on the 1066 mb
or is Dell giving you the 925EX chip mb and offering it with the 550 cpu at 800fsb etc or the 3.46 ee at 1066 fsb or are they using 2 different mb's ?

also in another response i received the party stated that only Dell motherboards fit Dell machines so you couldn't update later with a DFI lanparty , ABIT or Intel motherboard is my understanding -
So if I want to be ready for the future and dell only provides the 1066 fsb mb with the 3.46EE cpu then you have to spend all the extra bucks now --  or build your own with a 520 530 540 CPU at 800 fsb on a 1066 925ex chipset motherboard (mb) with 1066 fsb and add a different CPU like the 3.46ee after the prices come down

why doesn't dell just offer the 1066 fsb mb and include any 5xx cpu as a choice now and ley us upgrade the cpu later ?  this is why so many people are thinking "outside" the box and building their own -- Dell has the button to customize but that is a misnomer

i am getting ticked off at companies like Dell who use proprietary mb's etc --  Micro used to use standard atx form boards made for them but replaceable with retail boards down the road --  i wish they hadn't stuck with just making Crucial Memory and PC's for business customers only
oh well

i am a main frame programmer and really haven't built from scratch before like some of the tech types that I work with but it looks like i'm being pushe dto do so --  may have to dial in to Toms  hrdware or if anybody know another site let me know
Does anyone know  if someone (company) is willing to really configure a PC with standard MB etc unlike Dell let me know
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
3 Silver

Re: 1066 FSB and 925EX chipset

All XPS GEN 4 systems have the same motherboard with the 925XE chipset and are therefore 1066 FSB capable no matter what CPU they are purchased with.

ntheno

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Re: 1066 FSB and 925EX chipset

ntheno

that's good in that you can buy the xps and uodate down the road when cpu $ go down  --  why doesn't Dell offer it with the 520 530 540 cpu -- they start with the 550 --  is it true that the 6xx and 7xx and dual core 64 bit will be able to use this  MB?

0 Kudos