Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 25th, 2014 20:00

2 beeps and No Signal to Monitor

My Dell computer monitor wasn't receiving any information from the computer. I did some research, one guy said to reseat the RAM cards and some others say to make sure that my monitor is attached to the video card on the back of the motherboard. I didn't get the chance to try the latter, since we were busy trying to clean the whole thing. We tried to reseat the RAM cards, turned it on, and it started beeping twice. We researched a bit, and they said to rearrange the cards, but still nothing. Do you know how to fix this?

My model is old I know, but at the moment I cannot replace it. : /

Dell Studio 540

Monitor: Dell ST2010
Service Tag: <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed as per privacy policy>

Express Service Tag:<ADMIN NOTE: Express service code removed as per privacy policy>

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 25th, 2014 22:00

Hi sonken7,

2 Beeps on Dell Studio 540 indicates Memory or Memory slot failure. I would suggest you to remove and reseat the memory on the system to check if the beep codes disappear. If two or more memory modules are installed, remove the modules, then reinstall one module and restart the computer. If the computer starts normally, continue to install additional memory modules (one at a time) until you have identified a faulty module or reinstalled all modules without error.

Please let me know if this helps.

5 Posts

June 26th, 2014 11:00

That solved the beeping, thanks! Now all we need to fix is the no signal to monitor problem. We managed to find one of the RAM cards had the beeping so we plan on replacing it soon. If we buy something that's the same brand, but higher memory would that cause problems or is that alright?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 28th, 2014 00:00

Hi sonken7,

Good work on troubleshooting. If there is no dispIay on the monitor then it should be an issue with the system board or the VGA cable being used I would suggest you reseat a few components, like memory, hard drive and optical drive and see if that makes a difference.

5 Posts

June 30th, 2014 21:00

I cleaned and reseat the video card and it works like a charm now. Thanks for all your help! :)

Though, one last question, my current RAM is a Samsung 1GB Memory PC2-4400U (if that's ok to say here), does a replacement have to be the same manufacturer or what other requirements do I have to look out for? 

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

July 5th, 2014 08:00

Hi sonken7,

The similar memory from the same manfacturer would be a good option as the all the characterstics would be same which would increase the performance level.

No Events found!