Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 22nd, 2010 11:00

2GB of Ram in a dell 2350?

I have what i thought was the maximum of 1GB in my computer but now ive heard rumors that I can put 2Gb in this computer. Is that true? If so which ones would I buy?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 10th, 2010 19:00

The memory sticks are sold as a pair. And the 2350 will recognize them both -- mine worked fine with a pair, even under Windows 7. 

One difference here is that I used a Sparkle 8400GS video card with 512mb of memory. I'm wondering if this is a video card issue? Have you tried booting with the monitor connected to the onboard video port? I had a problem with my 2350 where Windows assumed that the onboard video, not the Sparkle, was the primary adapter and that left the monitor blank. I had to connect the onboard video to the second input of the monitor and switch between them to rectify this issue.

22 Posts

June 11th, 2010 10:00

and my computer does recognize the memory. It says memory tested 2048 OK and in Bios it show the total memory of 2048 and bank 0 and 1 as 1024. So it is recognizing them ok, it's gotta be something to do with the video card. Anyone want a 1G and a 512mb  upgrade?:emotion-4: JK

22 Posts

June 11th, 2010 10:00

I had the same problem with my PNY 8400GS 512 card, but not with the new 1G card. In the bios it is set to AUTO and everything runs like it should untill I put both 1g sticks in. Im kind of weary of uninstalling drivers. Ill update when I figure out what Im going to do.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 13th, 2010 14:00

Yeah it shows the new memory size 2048 in the setup. when I go out of It shows the windows XP loading screen, everything seems fine, then just remains black but is loading. Kind of like if you were to disable your video adapter, the computer would boot normally but there would be no screen. As I say when i put the combo in it works just fine, So Iam running 1.5 G Ram fine and it does make a difference but what am I supposed to do with the other 1G not in use?

That symptom I got with my 2350, and it was because Windows had assumed the onboard video was connected to the primary display even though nothing was connected to it. The solution was to connect both the onboard and discrete (Sparkle 8400GS) outputs to the monitor and switch between them so that I could manually change the primary display to the Sparkle.

November 21st, 2011 16:00

Hello, i do not know if you will get this but, did you ever get the system to work with the 2B'S?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 21st, 2011 19:00

Hello, i do not know if you will get this but, did you ever get the system to work with the 2B'S?

?

October 19th, 2013 15:00

I have been using a DEL Dimension 2400 for years with 2 -1 GIG ram cards in with no problems at all ,I have a 2350 with the same cards in it and they both run great.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

October 19th, 2013 16:00

The chipset supports 2gb of memory and the BIOS does not interfere with this.

1 Message

July 4th, 2014 18:00

I see this is an old topic but in case anyone else comes in late- I just bought a 2350 at a Goodwill and got mad when crucial said it couldn't be upped to 2gb ram- then I found this forum on a search and bought two matched 1GB sticks used off e-bay-- forgot about reading  resetting NVRAM and all that other stuff that was over my head here that I was gonna try anyway and just stuck them in--- and it immediately recognizes the 2GB with no further tinkering necessary in my case!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 4th, 2014 20:00

This thread has been locked due to it's age, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev.    

No Events found!