Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 27th, 2011 05:00

4700 corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Hello,

I've come across this problem with my 4700:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I've tried everything I've found recommended, but I can't seem to get it to work. The only steps that seems to work for me were from this site:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3B307545

Under "Step 1", part 5 it directs me to copy and delete a list of files. I've completed as far as deleting all the files. When I get to the task of copying the "repair" files, I get the following response:

"The system cannot find the file specified."

I suspect I don't have such files in C drive, and i and also tried to no avail "copy c:\wndows\repair\system.bak c:\windows\system32\config\system"

moreover, I am also not able to get into safe mode.

bad news for me so that I have not backup about 6 months of data and files which I still need to use. I m starting to suspected my hard disk is seriously corrupted.

While I can easily follow explicit directions, I'm no rocket scientist when it comes to PC's. pl explain in layman terms. thanks!

Expert advice is greatly appreciated!

cheers
Stephen

24 Posts

July 30th, 2011 20:00

First of all, I would like to thank ejn63 for guiding me this far. I have successfully installed a new HD with SP3 but when I connect the corrupted old disk, the old drive did not show up as a secondary.. where did I miss it?

by the way, i have lost some of the installation CDs, so where can I find all the necessary drivers and applications to be installed?

the problem now is that I have no internet connection from my ISP provider as I have also lost my internet installation CD.

but I have install the ISP internet program in my laptop. Do u think it's possible to copy the internet programs and install into my 4700 new drive?

24 Posts

July 31st, 2011 05:00

thanks Bev & Ron! i m now trying to download the drivers from Dell's page to my laptop and copy them to my new 4700drive. I also found that Dell techsupport listed the installing sequences as follows:

1. Desktop System Software (DSS)

2Chipset -

3.PCMCIA/Smartcard controller

4.Intel Storage -

5.Audio Adapter -

6.Video Adapter -

7.Network Interface Card (NIC) - .

8.Dell Control Point (DCP)

I just want make sure that I install the right drivers in correct sequence.

however, I can't find PCMCIA/Smartcard controller or the intel storage for 4700, is it ok to skip this installation?

And there are 10 video drivers, do I install all of them?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 31st, 2011 18:00

Spyslayer:

Did you read the warning about using that Microsoft method with OEM (eg, Dell)-supplied Windows XP??

Warning: Do not use the procedure that is described in this article if your computer has an OEM-installed operating system. The system hive on OEM installations creates passwords and user accounts that did not exist previously. If you use the procedure that is described in this article, you may not be able to log back into the recovery console to restore the original registry hives.

You will probably have to run a full Repair/Reinstall of XP now. You'll need a Windows XP CD that has the same version (eg, Home, Pro, MCE) and Service Pack (eg, SP2 or SP3) as is installed on your hard drive. You cannot use a CD with a different XP version or different Service Pack than is on the hard drive to run a Repair/Reinstall.

Ron

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 31st, 2011 18:00

You only need to install drivers for the hardware you actually have in your PC. Do you have a PCMCIA/Smartcard. That sounds like something for a laptop.

Go to support.dell.com, click Drivers and Downloads and select the option to use the Service Tag # for the 4700.  That should give you a list of the specific drivers needed for the hardware that Dell installed at the factory. Obviously, if you changed anything (aside from the hard drive), you will need the driver for the replacement hardware rather than for the hardware that Dell installed. Do not install drivers for any hardware that's not installed in your system!

Did you install the SATA drivers from a floppy diskette during the XP SP3 installation? If you didn't install the SATA drivers, you don't need the Intel Matrix Storage Manager application. All that does is show you the status of your SATA drives, but it's not essential for anything. The SATA driver does all the work. Even if you didn't install the SATA drivers, you'll probably never notice the difference, anyway.

Ron

24 Posts

July 31st, 2011 22:00

Hi Ron,

i m confused, do u meant I shouldn't have instal my new HD with slip-stream SP3 CD? do i need to Repair/Reinstall of XP on my new HD with the Dell Windows SP2 CD or slip-stream SP3 CD?

i have not update my devices drivers yet. Also, I  managed to find my 4700 manual. It states (pg 48)  that I  need to reinstall drivers with "a yellow circle with a [!]".

under device manager, I see that my 4700: audio controller, and video controller,Ethernet controller with "a yellow circle with a [!]" next to it.

so do i just install these drivers and to skip the rest of drivers installation? y/n?

I apologise for asking such basic questions because this is the first time i m reinstalling XP. thks.

24 Posts

August 1st, 2011 10:00

i have updated all the necessary driver in sequence for my new HD. And I have now connected the corrupted drive as a secondary. But I am not able to find the corrupted drive anywhere in the system.

What should I do now?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 1st, 2011 12:00

Did you connect the old hard drive to a port on the motherboard and a second cable to the power supply?

Did you run BIOS setup and make sure the port where the old drive is connected to the mothebard is actually turned on (enabled)?

Ron

24 Posts

August 1st, 2011 17:00

Did you connect the old hard drive to a port on the motherboard and a second cable to the power supply?

Did you run BIOS setup and make sure the port where the old drive is connected to the mothebard is actually turned on (enabled)?

yes.

yes.

But I am still not able to find the corrupted drive anywhere in the system.

What should I do now?

24 Posts

August 2nd, 2011 08:00

under BIOS setup, SATA-2

Conroller details:

*Controller = Serial ATA

* Port = SATA-2

drive details:

* Drive ID = Unknown

24 Posts

August 5th, 2011 08:00

A thousand thanks to all who advice me and help me too! well done ! and keep up the good work!

Stephen

24 Posts

August 5th, 2011 08:00

Hi Ron,

I have found out the issue why  the corrupt drive wasn't detected by the system. The SATA cable i bought was faulty! I have it changed and now I can see my corrupted drive. A thousand thanks for your advice and help! well done ! and keep up the good work!

Stephen

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 8th, 2011 13:00

:emotion-21:

No Events found!