Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2008 14:00

530's Fan constantly running

About 4 months ago I purchased 2 Dell 530 systems.

Intel(R)Core(TM)2 DUO CPU  E4600 @2.40 GHz  with 2 GB ram w/800 and XP Home Sp2

Recently one of my systems fans is continuously running.  If I use a warm start or cold start, the system fans starts immediately and runs continuously at 100% until I either go to Standby or shut down.

I have contacted Dell and they suggested that I Flash my BIOS with ver 1.0.12 and that would cure the problem.  I informed them that I already had BIOS 1.0.12 installed long before this problem started.  I tried to Flash the systems BIOS again but Windows would not allow it, saying that version 1.0.12 was already installed.  I have written them several more times but no reply.  I have also checked my "Windows Processes Task manager and it shows the system at 99% IDLE.  Have run all Virus and Spyware proggy's with nothing found.   Being somewhat ignorant of puter tech I was wondering if anyone hear could give me some direction of where to start in solving this problem.  Is it a bad BIOS?,  Heat sync?  If BIOS how do I flash my BIOS with the same version already installed?

I would definitely appreciate some guidance in this matter.

Cheers,
Greg

2K Posts

June 3rd, 2008 15:00

1.0.12 should have solved it, if it was 'the' BIOS fan problem.  1.0.10 should have.  Unknown where the 99% load is coming from, but even that won't make the fan run anywhere near full speed.  (I used to test desktops at 110%--giving them more work than they could do to where some tasks got deferred--and the fan speeds up only slightly if everything else is working properly.)

Reseat the fan connector a couple times.  Spray with contact cleaner.  The low-current control signal is subject to interruption by airborne contaminants on the contacts, and replugging scrubs them clean.

If it runs full speed from the moment you turn it on cold, the problem is NOT heat, or heatsink.  If it gradually speeds up over 5~10 minutes then stays there, that IS heat related. 

5 Posts

June 3rd, 2008 23:00

Thanks for your reply.  The system is 99% Idle(no Load).  It runs at full speed not a gradual increase even after setting cold all night.  As suggested I have cleaned and reseated it to no avail.

I do appreciate your prompt reply. Hopefully we will find a solution.

Cheers,

Greg

2K Posts

June 4th, 2008 00:00

Run fan diagnostic from within F12 diagnostic partition.  If the fan speed does not vary then, either the fan itself, the wiring to the fan, or the chipset has a problem. 

If in warranty, refer this to tech support.  It is a hardware failure. 

No Events found!