Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 5th, 2008 20:00

720, Black screen and movable cursor, no boot, no safe mode, no Vista, no $%#!

Black screen and movable cursor only, Vista won't start at all, no ctrl/alt/del, safemode won't work either.

Some of the problems before the computer failed completely are:

BSOD...

dwm.exe - application error ------------------------

the instruction at0x73a6f286 referenced memory at 0x73a6f286. The requested data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0xc000000e.

Click on okay to terminate the program

Explorer.exe/application error ------------------------------------------------

the instruction at0x76a70a5a reference to memory and0x76a70a5a. The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0xc000000e.

Click on okay to terminate the program.

Explorer.exe -- application error ------------------------------------------------

the instruction at0x73685402 referenced memory at 0x73685402. The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0x000000e.

Click on okay to terminate the program.

Screensaver:ss branded.scr -application error: --------------------------------------

the instruction at0x73aa7552 referenced memory at 0x73aa7552. The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0xc000000e

Microsoft Visual C++ runtime library -------------------------------------------

runtime error!

Program; see:/windows/system 32/nvcplui.exe

Microsoft Windows ----------------------------------------------

NVIDIA control panel application, 1.4.6.09 has stopped working.

Windows can check online for a solution to the problem.

Check online for a solution and close the program.

Flight simulator X still won't work even with all settings turned down to "minimal" and its resolution is set at 1024 x 768 x 16bit

Error: ----------------------------------------- Your computer has run out of available memory. Please restart flight simulator and select different graphics, scenery, and traffic settings. (Worked fine with HP Pentium 4, Pentium D and Core2 Q6600, but they were all running XP)

Vista locked up again, just running gadgets.

The Blue Ray disc player "Cyber Power DVD" locks up, (freezes then shuts down machine) (many different discs most of them new).

The soundcard keeps resetting itself to 2.1 instead of 5.1 surround sound

Installed the new drivers for Sound Blaster X-fi sound card.

Original version 6.0.1.1281 April 27 07.

New driver designed for vista operating system version 2.15.0002, October 9, 2007.

Error: Setup wasn't able to detect a supported product on your system, please ensure that your product is properly installed before running the setup program. Setup will exit.

Blue Screen of Death -------------------------------------TFS.system problem has been detected and windows shut down to prevent damage to your computer kernel data in page error stop 0x703DD80AE70 date stamp 4549ACEB

Blue Screen of Death ------------------------------------- kernel data in page error: Stop 0x000007a (0x0403968), 0x00000E 0x71545860,0x8072 Dooo Storport.sys address 8072D000.

Blue Screen of Death ------------------------------------- Vol Snap.sys address 86ZC9DD Base at 80615000 date Stamp 4549b1bb

Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal

Out of memory

Lock up! Hard re start..

running WM Player & slide show

A fatal error has occurred. The program needs to close.

Desktop picture turned Black

Incorrect Dll loaded Google Desktop.exe....

McAfee proxy service module has stopped working

Windows can check online for a solution to the problem.

Check online for a solution (recommended) or close. View problem details.

Dell QuickSet has to be reset every time the computer is started

Even the screensavers won't run properly, bubbles, Aura, 3-D text, (all run fast, slow, fast, slow)

The computer was purchased to run Microsoft software ,SFX, spent two months talking to technicians at Microsoft, NVIDIA, and Dell, can't get anyone to help. Also posted on nine different technical forums, (Dell, NVIDIA, Microsoft, computing.net, AVSIM, Simradar, etc.) also with no luck.

14.4K Posts

first of all your post will proably get deleted to character substution in the header...so be prepared..

im betting on either the hd or the mb....can you boot into the bios?
Do you get any lights on the front panel?
when does it black screen after post?

43 Posts

Have you bought a new motherboard, cpu, graphic card, memory and harddrive still with no luck!?

19 Posts

New motherboard, CPU, memory, graphics cards, hard drives,

Many fresh installs, some from disk some from factory image.

Also tried clean install of windows XP on new hard drive, and dual boot.

The computer goes past the boot screen, the Vista progression bar shows at the bottom of the screen, the Windows icon comes up and says please wait and then the screen turns black with movable cursor

Yes, the LED lights are on and are set to the previous settings from QuickSet.

Please, can't anyone help?

19 Posts

Some of the new problems we are having on this machine with XP (besides not being able to find drivers and basic software) are:

The screensavers show big problems,

"Space" should be an astronaut waving with the international space Station and planet Earth in the background. What you get is: a very blurry low-resolution astronaut with incredibly jagged edges, with no background at all.

"Aquarium" the background should be a light to dark green graduation. What you get is: 16 distinct bands of colors (as if it is eight or 16 bit color) very poor detail and jagged edges.

Along with all of the other problems.

19 Posts

January 5th, 2008 21:00

These new components: motherboard, CPU,
memory, 2 NVIDIA 8800 GTX video cards, had no affect on these problems.

Oh, and I forgot, The X-fi SoundBlaster soundcard has also been changed out.

(No noticeable difference)

Yes,
the bios have been reset and updated many times.

Yes,
clean format and reinstall of operating systems with no software installed, on new hard drives,

All troubleshooting is being done with only one monitor, no peripherals such as printers, scanners and no SLI.

180 Posts

January 6th, 2008 00:00

Did you install Vista with only 2 GB of memory installed or with 4 GB of memory installed?  Ive been reading you may need to reduce the system to 2 GB to install vista then once everything is working reinstall the additional 2 GB.  That may only apply to the 64 bit version of Vista but heck in your case its worth a try. 

Sounds to me like you've eliminated any hardware problem.  I mean the only thing you haven't changed is the case and the CD/DVD drives.  So it seems like the problem resides in the reinstallation of the OS.

I thought I also read somewhere that someone who reinstalled Vista.  Installed the OS with only one graphics card installed as well.  I believe reducing the hardware to stock speeds eliminates any problems that might arise from over clocked components when installing the OS.

My only other guess (and yes im guessing at most of this) is a bad copy of Vista.  Ask Dell for an image CD

Wish I could help more.

XPS 720 H2C
QX6700 2.66GHz Overclocked to 3.47GHz
4GB RAM
Dual 768MB nVidia GeForce 8800GTX
SATA RAID 0 with Dual 160GB 10k RPM Hard Drives
X-Fi sound card
Ageia PhysX Processor
1 kilowatt Power Supply
Windows XP Pro 

12.7K Posts

January 6th, 2008 02:00

Is the PC plugged directly into the wall socket?, if not try that, sounds crazy but we have seen many problems here with surge/ups protection causing weird problems.

If it is connected to the wall socket, it must be a properly grounded wall socket, use a wall socket tester to be sure it is, try another circuit in the residence.

Sounds like you have done everything else.

socket tester, found at any hardware store, cheap.
Click to Enlarge

8 Posts

January 6th, 2008 02:00

I would say faulty power supply if that wasn't changed out yet? If you can, try a different video card where you don't have to use the plugs from the PS, use 2GB RAM, and install OS using/powering only one drive and a regular DVD drive (not the blu-ray) and return bios to stock/default settings. If successful, then start powering the other devices one at a time (don't run updates after installation) and see if the black screen returns? If you get all the original equipment back in with no blackouts, install the latest official NVIDIA drivers for both the board/sata drives and video card before running Vista/Microsoft update and then setup RAID. I would think its either equipment or driver causing the problem.

19 Posts

January 6th, 2008 16:00

Thank you all!

There are some very good suggestions here.

1) Yes, Vista has been installed with only 2 GB of memory. (And then two more sticks of Corsair dominator DDR2 EPP memory sticks were used to replace original memory and then added to the 32 bit system). (No noticeable difference)

2) "Sounds to me like you've eliminated any hardware problem. I mean the only thing you haven't changed is the case and the CD/DVD drives."

Yes, the Philips blue Ray disc will not work either it cannot be used to install the operating systems or other software, so we had to go out and buy a mad dog DVD RW (40 bucks, seems to be the only thing in the computer that works)

3) Yes, removing one of the video cards has also been tried.

4) Yes, three different imaged to hard drives have been tried and we bought a new retail 500 GB Seagate barracuda hard drive and used it for clean installations of both Windows Vista and the windows XP from disk.

5) No, the computer is not plugged directly into the wall socket is plugged into a $300 uninterruptible power supply/power conditioner unit.

6) Yes, the plug is properly grounded and has been tested.

7) Yes, the operating system has been reinstalled many times with only one drive attached.

8) Yes, the bios has been set to "factory settings"/default settings many times and has been reset using the jumper many times.

9) Yes, This STINKS! Can anyone help?

180 Posts

January 6th, 2008 17:00

Well sounds like a thourough workover to me.  You've probably looked at this but I haven't seen confirmation of it yet so here goes.  The 4 diagnostic lights on the front.  Any stay lit?  Normally after startup all would be off. 

At this point I'm brainstorming

Has this machine been like this since day one?  I mean when you first got it.  You unboxed the computer plug everything in and was it dead like this or did it just happen one day or slowly degrade over time?

Just so I know.  You haven't changed the bluray, the CPU, the powersupply, Power button assembly or any wiring/cables.  Is there anything else in there you haven't changed?

XPS 720 H2C
QX6700 2.66GHz Overclocked to 3.47GHz
4GB RAM
Dual 768MB nVidia GeForce 8800GTX
SATA RAID 0 with Dual 160GB 10k RPM Hard Drives
X-Fi sound card
Ageia PhysX Processor
1 kilowatt Power Supply
Windows XP Pro

272 Posts

January 6th, 2008 18:00

Run "Dell Diagnostics" if it still exsists on your HDD. If not, you can run it from your Dell Software DVD/CD.

19 Posts

January 6th, 2008 19:00

Yes, all four diagnostic lights turn off after startup.

Yes, this computer was DOA (dead on arrival)

Yes, the CPU has been changed (as stated above)

No, the Blue Ray player and power supply have not been changed, also the power switch has not been changed out yet (I expect this to wear out shortly because of all the hard restarts)

Yes, no less than nine different NVIDIA drivers have been tried, including the beta drivers. (The latest one was released 12/20/07 version 7.15.11.6925)

3.3K Posts

January 6th, 2008 20:00

try this,
     Remove the 2 strips of memory in the slots with the black clips. Remove one of the video cards, and the soundblaster. Power up, into the bios and set your processor to the stock clock speed, turn off SLI/EPP, scroll to drives, and turn off all the channels except your main(boot) disk, and your dvd drive. Now open your dvd and slip your vista disk in, hit esc, save settings and exit. now when machine posts, hit the key and select boot from dvd rom.
     Before you start this process, you should download the  MediaShield drivers and the network drivers Download Now to a usb stick or cd.
       If windows installs with this process, first install the mediashield drivers(this includes the chipset drivers) reboot, and install your network drivers. now you can download and install the MS  Update for Windows Vista (KB929777)  After you install this patch, you can rebbot, power down, and reinstall the two strips of memory you removed before the install.
      If you are willing to try this, please let me know how you make out.
Good Luck,
jd

19 Posts

January 6th, 2008 23:00

Thanks for your help,

The media shield drivers won't install.

Everything works fine until step number 4 in the installation,

where there should be a "pop-up window" with "on-screen installation instructions in the window"

it just shows the file window:

C:\Dell\Drivers\R171687. And the "sataraid" file and the "Version" file.

Under the "sataraid" file there are seven other files, none of which can launch an installer.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Hard Drive Installation (via WinZip) with HTML Pop-Up Window for
R171687.EXE

Download
1.Click Download Now, to download the file.
2.When the File Download window appears, click Save this program to
disk (Windows XP users, click Save) and click OK. The Save In: window
appears.
3.From the Save In: field, click the down arrow then click to
select Desktop and click Save. The file will download to your desktop.
4.If the Download Complete window appears, click Close. The file
name icon appears on your desktop.

Install
1.Double-click the new icon on the desktop labeled R171687.EXE.
The Self-Extractor window appears.
2.Click OK or Continue.
The Self-Extracting Driver Installation window appears and prompts to
extract files to C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R171687.
3.Leave all of the default settings and click Unzip or OK. If the
directory doesn't exist, you'll be prompted to create one. Click Yes. A
Self Extractor window appears and indicates C:\DELL\DRIVERS\R171687 files were
extracted.
4.Click OK.
Follow the on-screen installation instructions in the window.

HTML Pop-Up With Install Now Button
1.The Dell Software Installation Documentation window appears.
2.Click the Install Now button. A File Download window appears.
3.Click Run this program from its current location and click OK.
The Security Warning window appears.
4.Click Yes. The InstallShield Wizard window appears.
5.Follow the on-screen instructions.

Message Edited by The_Mr_E on 01-06-2008 11:46 PM

3.3K Posts

January 6th, 2008 23:00

vista did install?
Go here and download the nforce 680i drivers.

Install the package except for the ethernet drivers and the network management tools.

Or you can skip this step for now, go ahead and finish your MS patch and try the windows update. Vista does have a "boxed" chipset driver for the 680i

Message Edited by gdwrnch3 on 01-06-2008 09:06 PM
No Events found!