Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 31st, 2016 13:00

9010 System fans

Hello,

I have a Dell 9010 that just got out of warranty a month ago, grumble.  The issue I'm having is that the PSU, case and Graphics card fans are at full speed.  When I start the machine up, after POST, during the check for an iPXE server, they just slowly start climbing in speed.  I ran the ePSU test and everything came back green.  While in the ePSU, the fans run at normal speed.  For troubleshooting, I;

1: Blew the dust out of the computer (there wasn't that much anyway)

2: Swapped the temp sensor with a known working one.

3: Reseated, cleaned and re-applied the thermal paste to the Processor.

4: Updated the bios.

5: Removed the graphics card

6: Unplugged and re-plugged the connectors on the motherboard

7: Removed the HDD

8: Reseated the RAM

I'm not sure what the problem is and am hoping someone could help.  Thank you.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 2nd, 2016 11:00

Unfortunately, electronics do fail so a new motherboard might be an option at this point

You can find them here. You can also check eBay, and there's always Dell Spare Parts at 800-357-3355.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 31st, 2016 20:00

What version of Windows?

Try updating the chipset driver(s) and video card driver.

9 Posts

August 1st, 2016 08:00

Hello,

This is Windows 7 Enterprise.  The chipset drivers and the video card drivers are updated.  I also ran Open Hardware Monitor and it looks like all the temps are normal as well.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 1st, 2016 11:00

It may not be a question of actual temps, but something is telling BIOS to rev up the fans. And many times it's a corrupted video card driver. So even if the drivers are up-to-date, you may want to uninstall the video driver and reinstall it.

First, go to the site for your video card's manufacturer and look for the latest Win 7 driver for your specific card. And go to the Intel download site and let their scanner examine your hardware for the latest/best drivers. If the Intel site offers a new Intel Graphics driver, install that too, even if you only use an add-in video card.

NOTE: Be sure to manually set a System Restore point before uninstalling/installing any drivers, just to be safe. :emotion-5:

9 Posts

August 1st, 2016 12:00

I uninstalled and re-installed the graphics card driver for the built in intel graphics.  I removed the hardware and drivers for the AMD card using their cleanup utility.  The fans are still running full tilt.  Just for giggles, I booted off a clonzilla drive I have and the fans were still running full on the clonezilla linux boot.  

As for System Restore, this is a clean install of Windows 7, so I don't mind burning it if I have to. :-)

9 Posts

August 1st, 2016 13:00

I had removed the CPU heatsink, blew the dust out, cleaned the CPU and heatsink, added thermal paste and put it back together.  I was thinking about a heat sensor on the motherboard, but wouldn't that register as too hot in the monitor program?  Also, where are the sensors, maybe I can hit it with cool spray to see if that helps.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 1st, 2016 13:00

Perhaps the thermal paste on the CPU heat sink dried out and needs to be replaced..? You'd have to remove the heat sink, gently clean both surfaces, apply fresh paste (eg, Arctic Silver) and reattach the heat sink.

Or, maybe the heat sensor that's actually on the motherboard failed and thinks the system is too hot so it revs the fans...?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 1st, 2016 17:00

If the sensor out of whack, it might read temps as "high" even though the temps are normal.

No idea where thermal sensors are on the motherboard. But you probably wouldn't be able to fix them anyway unless you're an expert at working on printed circuit boards, assuming they could be replaced.

Did you update the Intel chipset drivers?

You said you updated BIOS after this started, but it didn't help. Had you updated BIOS prior to the fan problem and before you did the latest BIOS update?

When you swapped case sensors, is the one you installed known to be compatible with this system?

BTW: Is this the 9010 or the 9010 All-In-One?

9 Posts

August 2nd, 2016 07:00

I was thinking if it was a sensor on the motherboard I would just replace the whole board.  At least I would know where the problem would stem from.

I have replaced the chipset drivers and I hadn't updated the bios prior to this problem happening.  

We have 2 labs with this exact model (9010 tower).  I used the case sensor from another 9010.  Interestingly none of the other 20 computers have this problem even with the same system image on them.  I'm starting to think it's more of a hardware problem then software.

No Events found!