Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 11th, 2006 16:00

ATI Radeon 9250 128MB DDR 64 bit

Hello,

Is there any reason why the above video card would not be compatible with my Optiplex GX270?

I installed the new card and the updated drivers after first disabling the onboard video. All seemed fine at first but within 2 days, the display could only show 16 colors and 800x600.

The problem took care of itself when I removed the new video card and enabled the onboard video.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 11th, 2006 17:00

ATI Is very unhappy very non compatable, conflicts with Onboard INTEL video.

Installing a Geforce FX5500 or Geforce FX5200 AGP after removing the INTEL drivers
and using XPSP2 and you reboot and it works.

NVIDIA 56.72WHQL with directx 9.0c for win2000/XP
NVIDIA 56.64 with directx 9.0c for WIN9X/WINME

XPSP2 includes both so it doesnt need anything downloaded.

Some ATI cards will cause permanent irreversable killed my pc forever Damage.

Im not willing to fry my systems to figure out which ones are not a good idea.

Built by ATI becomes I was Killed by ATI.

381 Posts

February 12th, 2006 23:00

The ATI X850XT is working great in my GX270.  I would recommend using Driver Cleaner Pro (do a google search).  Then go to ati.com and download their new Catalyst 6.2.  In comments above the catalyst download, an uninstaller is mentioned.  Click that link and download and run that first.  I always download into a temp directory, then run.

It can be intimidating to change a video card and then have it switch back.  But this is indicative that some of the old driver is being left behind.  Remember HAL, you must never let the computer win.  ;-)

I used a 9250 card on my GX270 while waiting for my X850XT.  Nice dependable card.  Give it another try, the AGP is significantly faster than onboard.

Dave

No Events found!