Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 26th, 2017 13:00

After Using Dell Backup and Recovery, Keep Getting Error Message

I'm not too savvy about tech stuff; please have mercy on me! LOL, 

I have a Dell Optiplex 780 running Windows 7 Pro. Other than it's 64-bit and was refurbished when it was purchased for me 3 or 4 yrs ago, I don't know anything else, and can't find out because it won't boot. 

I have been having issues recently (within the last six months) with it slowing down and sometimes shutting off due to "a thermal event" (does that mean it's getting too hot?) so I decided to back up and restore it completely. I did the backup on a USB flash drive, which took all day and a 64GB to complete, then I was ready to restore. (I'm using the Dell Backup and Recovery Basic.) When I started it, it said to create a system restore media; I don't have an external hard drive so I was going to use a flash drive, but it needed 32GB of space and the only drive I had big enough was the one I did the backup on! I went and got DVD-R discs, and got to work. It took 9 of the 10 pack I bought, and about 6 hours to complete it, but I did it! Then I began the restore process. I went through inserting all 9 discs, and went I got to the end of the final one, up pops an error message. I didn't know what the error message was, there was no explanation, so I went ahead and clicked OK. The computer hummed for a second, then shut off and restarted. It said "Loading files", then I got the message "Boot Manager not found, press ctrl-alt-dlt to restart". I tried it, several times, to no avail. It will not boot up. 

The error message read "Error #0x4001001300001002" and that was it. I tried searching for what that meant but haven't found it. Right now I'm on a little Hewlitt Packard laptop a family member gave me, but I want my PC back!! Can anyone help?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 30th, 2017 06:00

That specific error means your drive was cloned.  The DBAR recovery partition is encrypted and cannot be cloned.  If its cloned it has bad data and will not recover.  The restore error is.

1 Rookie

• 

35 Posts

April 12th, 2017 11:00

Have you fixed this yet?

I suggest you try  to run the Windows Startup Repair.  

During boot hit the F8 key and choose the first option to Repair your computer.  As you have problems with the Recovery partition this may not work.  

You can accomplish the same task with a Windows System Repair Disk (CD will do).  This can be made from any Windows 7 64 bit machine.  See this link: support.microsoft.com/.../windows-7-create-system-repair-disc and this link vlaurie.com/.../windows-7-backup.html  To use the disk will probably have to use the F12 key during boot to get to the Boot Menu and choose your CD ROM.  

In either event follow the instructions on the screen and choose "Startup Repair".  The best you can do is to accept the proposed repair.  

You can also do this from ANY windows 7 64 bit INSTALL disk, but on the third screen DO NOT choose Install.  Go to the bottom and select Repair.

No Events found!