Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2009 16:00

After attempting to upgrade RAM, I get 6 long beeps and blank screen on my XPS Gen 3 Desktop

My computer was purchased in 2004.  It is an XPS Gen 3, Dell XPS, P4, 3.2G wHT, 800 FSB, 1G DDR2 SDRAM @ 533 Mhz.  I do video editing for a hobby which is quite resource hungry. 

I purchased 2GIG of RAM from Dell as an upgrade for my machine.  I used the same two slots to replace the RAM as the where the two sticks of RAM were currently located.  I ended up with the problem in the subject line. 

To experiment,

(TEST 1) 1 stick - 1 gig (new) - 6 beeps no screen (lights in back of CPU - green, yellow, yellow, yellow)

(TEST 2) 1 stick - 1 gig (new - different stick) - no beeps no screen (lights in back of CPU - yellow, yellow, yellow, green)

(TEST 3) 1 stick - 1/2 gig (old ram) - no beeps , screen comes up with message that amount of system memory has changed, strike F1 key to continue, F2 to run the system utility.   (lights in back of CPU - green, green, green, yellow)

(TEST 4) Added the last stick of the old ram - no beeps, no screen, (lights in back of CPU now read yellow, yellow, green, green).

I seem to be all over the map on this. 

I wonder if there would be any value to trying the different slots for the RAM?  I used the same slots where the RAM was installed originally.....

14.4K Posts

February 7th, 2009 19:00

you might want to try a CMOS reset

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

at this point. The bios might be a bit confused. Also you might want to unplug the computer and press and hold the power button in for 10-20 seconds.

the light codes you saw were

Test 1.. No memory modules detected

Test 2 undocumented

Test 3 The dreaded 'other failure"

Test 4 Memory modules are detected but a memory failure has occurred.

From the testing it does appear that the first stick you tired might also be bad as that was the only one to give you the beep codes as well as the lights.

14.4K Posts

February 15th, 2009 15:00

Thats the memory is detected but somthing is wrong error. Im thinking motherboard is gone. One other thing you can try is to use the other two slots. I would suggest using slot #3 one memory stick at a time.

10 Posts

Oh yes, I forgot to add........the diagnostic lights were yellow, yellow, green, green.    Thanks! 

10 Posts

Thank you for your response Davet50.

Due to work constraints, I had to wait for the weekend to try the CMOS reset.  I'm pretty sure I handled it correctly as instructions are very clear and the CMOS is easy to find.

Sadly, I have the same result.  I powered up the machine and got no beeps whatsoever and no screen.  I wonder if I will need to take my computer in at this point.  Do you think it might be worthwhile to try some different RAM that is compatible first?

10 Posts

February 15th, 2009 16:00

Okay, now we have a new result........ maybe a good one?

Screen comes up with "Invalid configuration information - please run SETUP program"

Performing automatic IDE configuration .... etc etc....

(Identifies all of the drives)

Time of day not set - please run SETUP program

Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

This was with 1 stick of the old memory in slot # 3.  Lights in back show green, green, green, yellow.

Is this progress?  (I hope?)

14.4K Posts

February 15th, 2009 16:00

yes and no im afraid. the light sequence is the "another failure has occured"

just curious how long have you had the system? if over 3 yrs you might want to replace the sysem battery.

boot into the bios and compare your settings to the defaults here. 

10 Posts

February 15th, 2009 17:00

Okay, I am there now.  Is there anything in particular that I am looking for? 

(My system is 4 years old.  Is it hard to replace the battery?)

14.4K Posts

February 15th, 2009 18:00

ok

lets make sure all the memory is good. add another stick to slot 4 and see what changes.

After that you can try placing the new memory into slot 3 one stick at a time. if it tests good swap it out with the other to see if it is good as well

14.4K Posts

look to see if your memory is detected. Look at the disk section to make sure they are all recognized.  Set the date and time 

no changing a battery it pretty easy. See HERE 

10 Posts

Okay, date/time are set.

All disks were recognized (160GB,400GB,CD,DVD+)

Looks like memory was recognized too:

Memory Slot   Size           ECC         Rank         Type       Organization

DIMM 1

DIMM 3           512  MB      No              2           Unbuffered       x8

DIMM 2

DIMM 4 

How are we doing ?? 

10 Posts

February 15th, 2009 19:00

Okay, here we go ..........

Results are the six long beeps, nothing on monitor, diagnostic lights show: green, yellow, yellow, yellow

I'm starting to think that the memory that Dell sent me for my upgrade is bad and my second stick of memory has gone bad.  Does that make sense with the beeps and diagnostic lights? 

10 Posts

February 15th, 2009 19:00

I must call it a night.......  and I know it's getting pretty late in Pennsylvania.  I will check back in the a.m.

Please know how much I appreciate your efforts in trying to assist.  Thank you so much! 

14.4K Posts

February 16th, 2009 05:00

Since we know slot 3 works if none of the sticks work in slot 3 then I would say they are bad.

Can you get the system to boot up into windows with the one stick in slot 3?

Im wondering if you are running the latest bios for the system. I belive you have to be into windows to update it though

10 Posts

February 16th, 2009 16:00

Hello Davet50

My apologies for not getting back sooner.  I had the opportunity to have the new memory that I purchased from Dell for the upgrade tested.  It tested good.  So I am now taking the CPU in to a local computer shop for further diagnostics. 

I did not have the opportunity to check on the version of BIOS, but that might have been another option for me to try if I would have had the time. 

At this point, I am only able to boot into windows using only one stick of old 512mb ram, (the other old 512mb stick wouldn't work), and it would work in either DIMM 1 or DIMM 3, with no beeps, and diagnostic lights showing green, green, green, yellow.  I was unable to do this with any of the other sticks of memory even though I am told that they tested good.  I tested each these sticks one at a time and I am sure that I seated them properly.  So I am at a loss and figured that I needed someone else to take over. 

I do want you to know that I appreciate your efforts in trying to assist and appreciate your patience. 

I will post back once I get some feedback. 

14.4K Posts

February 16th, 2009 18:00

hello catodude

sorry we appear to not be able to work this out. I am still suspecting the motherbord may still be bad.

Please keep us posted as to what you find out.

No Events found!