Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

October 2nd, 2009 23:00

Amber Light on Mainboard

Hi

I recently noticed a amber (or orange light on my mainboard, and I was wondering what it was for.

It is on the upper left hand side, and its stays solid.

My system is a XPS 630i, with the 0PP150 mainboard.

Any ideas? it is not liste in the manul or the service guide as far as I can see.

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 3rd, 2009 13:00

pthurston

That could be the Standby Power light [aka Flea power] and indicates the motherboard is receiving some power.

It stays lite all time, unless you remove remove the power cord from the power supply and hold the power power button in for about 10/15 seconds, to discharge the residue power.

Bev.

9 Posts

October 3rd, 2009 17:00

thanks

should it be amber ... or maybe green?

ity is near the battery and it does turn off when I unplug the power cord

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 3rd, 2009 17:00

pthurston

It can be either colour, the standby light is basically a warning, to let you know the motherboard has some power.

You need to use the procedure I've already posted, to discharge the residue power, before working on the motherboard, installing/replacing any parts.

Bev.

3 Posts

December 6th, 2015 14:00

Please help I have the same problem. Yesterday I took my ram out and then put it back in. Before this my dell xps 630i was working, but I turned it on today and the fan is really loud with a Amber light on the motherboard. It also took 10 seconds to hold down the power button to turn it off. It also doesn't display anything on my monitor, please help!!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 7th, 2015 06:00

Please help I have the same problem. Yesterday I took my ram out and then put it back in. Before this my dell xps 630i was working, but I turned it on today and the fan is really loud with a Amber light on the motherboard. It also took 10 seconds to hold down the power button to turn it off. It also doesn't display anything on my monitor, please help!!

Cochrz47

Why were the memory modules removed?

Were they reinstalled correctly?

Have you made any other changes to the computer recently?

What colour is the power button light and is it solid or blinking?

Are there any 'beeps'?

The XPS 630i Diagnostic Codes and Troubleshooter, is here:

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-630_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.                                

No Events found!