Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 6th, 2012 04:00

Another Dell Dimension 4700 Audio Issue

Rebuilt the 4700 with XP - not with the Dell CDs as they were lost.  Installed what I thought were the correct drivers including audio.  Looks like I have a Soundblaster PCI card.  I have disabled the integrated audio from the BIOS settings.

What happens is this:

*Boot up the pc and logon to hear the ever-so welcoming Windows chimes which indicates to me that I have sound.

*Then, if I go into iTunes or any program with sound, there is nothing.

*When I reboot, I don't hear the Windows closing chimes.

*After reboot, the welcome to Windows chimes are back but the cycle repeats (no sound).

Any ideas?  I may not have installed drivers in the correct order.  If that is the best remedy, how do I go about doing that? Will I need to do a full wipe and re-install of Windows (hopefully not) or do I uninstall drivers in a certain order and then re-install them in a certain order?  If I can do the latter, what is the specific order and steps to do so?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

DJP

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 6th, 2012 14:00

Do you remember if you installed the chipset drivers? If so, then try reinstalling your audio drivers. You don't need to uninstall them.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 6th, 2012 05:00

Hi DJP,

The first thing to do is check device manager and see if there are any question marks or exclamation points. Those would indicate a driver problem. You might want to boot the system, check device manager, then try running iTunes, and check again.

Normally, the first device driver you want to install is the chipset driver. That allows the OS to recognize other integrated devices.

4 Posts

April 6th, 2012 05:00

Thanks for your reply, Osprey4.

I've done that and there are no question marks or exclamation points in Device Manager.

Should I try UNinstalling drivers and then re-installing? If so, what is the correct order for UNinstalling?

4 Posts

April 7th, 2012 11:00

Thanks for your reply, Osprey...After reinstalling drivers, same result.  It's just weird that I have sound initially when Windows starts but then nothing.  Is something being loaded that overtakes the sound driver or something like that?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 8th, 2012 06:00

I suspect an issue with iTunes. I would do a little trial and error to see if that's what's causing the problem. Reboot and check your default audio adapter and outut. Then try a few different sound applications, like IE, WMP, etc. Then log off and check that the log-off sound is still working. Try again with iTunes. Check if the default audio device changes.

No Events found!