Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 7th, 2009 21:00

Battery in a desktop?

I have an Inspiron 530 with a little battery icon in the lower right corner.  A couple times the system has shut down, giving an indication that the battery is low.  The computer is plugged in, so I don't understand.  Where is the battery on a desktop and what do it do?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 7th, 2009 21:00

Big_Al_9493

THIS will show you, where the battery is located and how to replace it.

A 3-V CR2032 lithium coin cell is required, this can be purchased from a Radio Shack, WalMart, or most pharmacies.

A Hint: Before replacing the CMOS battery, make a note of the system setup/BIOS settings, as a reference

Bev.

October 8th, 2009 11:00

Is a 3-V CR2032 Lithium Coin Cell a rechargeable battery?  The icon in the lower right (little green battery with the end of an electrical cord) normally says "Fully Charged" so it appears that the battery charges while plugged in?  Or am I reading this wrong?  The icon now displays "Fully Charged 100%", so perhaps what you are saying is the battery is defective ... if it were wearing out from age, once it failed it would not go back to 100%, yes?  If I need a battery, I think I need to take it somewhere ... I'm not comfortable taking the system apart to get at the system board.  Thank you for your help.

23 Posts

October 8th, 2009 13:00

From what I've learned here, this is not a rechargeable battery.

If you do the replacement yourself, be sure to read the instructions from Dell or this forum for changing a battery......

There are tricks to removing it, and keeping yourself from zapping the PC.

I'm about to attempt it myself for the first time.......

No Events found!