Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2017 06:00

Bios sees all RAM but only registers some

8x4GB sticks, all 8 show in bios, only shows 24GB present. Even I know 8x4 does not equal 24.

http://imgur.com/a/8aJD7

Any ideas?

TIZ

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 12th, 2017 11:00

Always include the exact PC model and version of Windows in your posts.

Is this a recent configuration change?

Do you know if the RAM is compatible?

January 12th, 2017 11:00

sorry T5400, A11 bios.

it's a system i bought a while back and just recently tried to use, verified ram is compatible. The part that gets me is that BIOS sees all the ram (see picture) but only reports some. All same make, model, etc.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 12th, 2017 16:00

Are all 8 identical to each other? How long did it sit unused? Is motherboard battery weak/dead?

Does it boot normally? What color are the power button and 4 diagnostic LEDs? Look up error codes in manual. If it boots, how much RAM does Windows report?

Reboot and immediately press F12. Select the option to boot to Utility Partition and run the RAM tests.

If one module either failed or maybe isn't seated correctly in its slot, it may prevent the other module in that pair from working, 32 - (2x4) = 24 GB

Slots 1&2 are paired, slots 3&4 are paired, etc. Note that slots may not be ordered "logically". In other words, slot 1 may not be closest to CPU and slot 2 is probably not next to slot 1. Slots with same color retention clips will be odd or even numbered slots

No Events found!