Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 30th, 2015 17:00

CPU COOLER DELL XPS 8700

What are the possible cpu coolers that you can install on the mobo dell xps 8700 motherboard without any fancy ghetto mounting. Just as if it was a normal motherboard?

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

October 4th, 2015 22:00

The XPS 8500, the precursor to the XPS 8700, has standard Socket 1155 spacing. Socket 1150 shares the spacing of the 1155, and thus I believe an aftermarket cooler should work.

A Cooler Master Vortex was a perfect fit on my XPS 8500 motherboard, and I assume the same would hold true for an XPS 8700. You will use optical drive-type screws to fasten the cooler to the board rather than the flimsy plastic push-pins.

Looking at an XPS 8700 mainboard on eBay, I can see a standard four-pin CPU fan header, just like that of the XPS 8500.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

October 6th, 2015 23:00

The Dell motherboard is designed for screws and a backing plate, not the nylon push-pins. I attached a Cooler Master Vortex to an XPS 8500 motherboard with four optical drive-type screws, and it was a perfect fit. (And stronger than the flimsy push-pins bundled with the cooler.)  I assume the same cooler will work on an XPS 8700.

3 Posts

October 27th, 2015 19:00

Thank you everyone. I took rdunnill's experience with his 8500 as a good sign and tried a Cooler Master Vortex Plus on my XPS 8700 and it fit perfectly using small optical drive screws (not included) to mount to the motherboard. I believe almost any cooler that does not need a backing plate and comes with the nylon intel style twist pins will probably work the same way (using screws).

Unfortunately this cooler has not made that much of a difference in my CPU temps. It is running about 6 degrees better so far, but I expect it to get a degree or two better after the arctic silver 5 cures over the next month.  I might try a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 or EVGA mITX in the future as they look like they would work as well.

I am not getting any fan failure messages, all is well in that regard.

3 Posts

October 3rd, 2015 14:00

I am also looking to upgrade my CPU cooler. Has anyone gotten any aftermarket LGA 1150 coolers to work on these 8700 Mobos? I cant tell if the mounting points are standard by looking at them.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

October 4th, 2015 18:00

It's a non-standard heat sink mount. You might want to read this thread for some info.

Keep in mind if you replace the Dell CPU fan with a non-Dell fan, you're likely to get a "Fan Failure; Press F1..." error message at every boot.

The Dell CPU fan has a sensor that's read by BIOS to control fan speed, and if BIOS can't see the sensor (a non-Dell fan won't have it), you'll get that error message every time.

4 Posts

October 6th, 2015 19:00

Be aware that the low profile Noctura NH-D9L will "not" fit the proprietary Dell 1150 socket mobo using the included Intel bracket.  The holes on the mobo are too small for the bracket to go through.  Noctura's website even states that there may be differences on Dell and other similar boards and they can't support it due to that and other potential problems.  

I've searched the web looking for a aftermarket cpu cooler that will fit and have yet to find one.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

October 27th, 2015 21:00

Glad to have helped!

1 Message

September 28th, 2016 20:00

Just found this out the hard way. There were corsair mounts that had the small socket size on the bottom, a spacer, and then a larger socket size on top. I couldnt find anything with small sizes on both sides.

No Events found!