Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 18th, 2009 13:00

Camera card reader?

Hello, When I try to load a second camera card, it will not automaticly load. I must restart my pc and the it will load.  I can not find the H reader once I have safely removed the card.  What can suggest?  Thanks

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 18th, 2009 14:00

Always include the PC model and version of Windows in your post. :emotion-5:

Is this an internal or external card reader? It sounds like using Safely Remove is stopping the reader, rather than just stopping the card. If it's an external reader, what happens if you Safely Remove, unplug the reader, insert a new card and then reconnect the reader? Does the PC recognize it now?

You may want to try setting the Policies for the reader to "Optimize for quick removal" which should allow you to remove the card from the reader without using Safely Remove. A word of caution: I'm not certain that this will work with a card reader so be sure the contents of the card are backed up before you try this for the first time. And I also don't know for sure that a new card will be recognized when inserted, but -as long as it's also backed first- it, this may be worth a try.

Ron

July 18th, 2009 15:00

Thanks, My Dell is Demension E510 with Windows XP. Internal reader.  Any idea why the reader dos'nt show up in the ( my computer ) page? It's only there on initail card read. Thanks, Curt

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 19th, 2009 18:00

Did you try any of my suggestions, like changed the Policies to "optimize for quick removal".

After the reader disappears from My Computer, open device manager and look for the reader's entry or for an "unknown device" entry. If you find the reader or an 'unknown', right-click and uninstall it. Then reboo XP should reinstall it. Test to see if it doesn't disappear after you eject a card now.

Ron

No Events found!