Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 23rd, 2011 11:00

Can't Update Video Controller Driver

I just reinstalled Windows XP 32-bit using Service Pack 3.  The installation appeared to be normal.  I went to the device manager to see what drivers needed to be reinstalled and was able to install the SM Bus and Audio drivers.

However, under "Other Devices" I got two yellow question marks.  One for Video Controller and one for Video Controller (VGA Compatible).  Every time I try to install the drivers I get a message that says "The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software."

The machine I am using is a Dell Optiplex GX620.  The video card is an ATI Radeon X600 (came stock with the computer)

I went to Dell's Driver Page and downloaded the drivers for my machine, but it doesn't fix the problem.  What's going on here??

Somebody help!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 23rd, 2011 13:00

Did you install the Intel motherboard Chipset Drivers?  This is an often overlooked item and key to a successful install.  When installing the chipset drivers must be installed BEFORE installing device drivers.  If the chipset drivers were skipped, install them, restart the PC and then install any missing device drivers such as the Video.  Usually this will work, in a few cases it takes a new/correct install sequence for everything to work or work properly.

No Events found!