Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 6th, 2015 12:00

Can't connect Inspiron 660s with Win 7 Ultimate to internet

Can't connect Inspiron 660s with Win 7 Ultimate to internet. Window says "You're not connected to a network".  Clicked on Fix Connection Problem and new window says "Install a driver for your network adapter."   The computer is hooked up to an Xfinity modem via ethernet cable and not wifi.  Still nothing. How do I get it to connect?

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 8th, 2015 16:00

Glad it's all resolved now.

Please mark this thread as answered.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 6th, 2015 13:00

Is this a new problem but you were previously able to connect via the Ethernet port?

Have you tried running the Win 7 Set up a new connection or network which is on the Network and Sharing screen?

You didn't say if this is 32 or 64-bit Win 7U, but there's a 64-bit Win 7 driver for the RealTek RTL8111F Ethernet Controller here.

Open Device Manager on the 660s and look for the Network Adaptor entry and see if it's marked with yellow ! or red X and if it's listed as the RTL8111F

If the adaptor is the RTL8111F, you could try reinstalling the driver. You can download it on any PC and save on USB stick for installation on the 660s. Manually set a System Restore point before installing that driver.

5 Posts

March 8th, 2015 11:00

Thanks for the quick reply.

There was no download button on that site you suggested for the Ethernet port.

But here's the deal on this computer. It had Win 8.1 on it. I had someone take that off and put Win 7 on it. Everything works fine except it won't connect to the internet.

Yes, I tried running the Win 7 Set up a new connection or network. Didn't work. The computer is a 64 bit.

The computer guy told me to check in the Device Manager and see if there is any thing that has a yellow marking next to it (triangle, exclamation mark, etc)  There are five that have the yellow mark.

When I click on one it says I need the driver for it.

They are:  Ethernet controller, Network controller, PCI Simple Communications controller SM Bus controller, and Universal Serial Bus (USB) controller.

Where do I get these?

5 Posts

March 8th, 2015 12:00

Found the driver I needed and I am up and running on the internet.   Thanks for your help.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

March 8th, 2015 13:00

From all the notices in Device Manager, it appears that whoever installed Win 7 didn't install the chipset driver as the very first driver after loading Windows.

Without the chipset driver, other drivers might not install or might not work.

5 Posts

March 8th, 2015 13:00

I got the chipset driver from Dell as well. I installed it too.   However, there are still 3 of the 5 items in the Device Manager that have yellow exclamation signs on them. Not sure if I need to do anything with them, but they are:

Network controller, PCI simple communications controller, and SM Bus controller.

I didn't find any thing for these at the Dell website.   Where would I get the info or drivers for these?

5 Posts

March 8th, 2015 16:00

I installed all the rest of the stuff the Dell site suggested and it took care of the other yellow signs. So everything is good now.

Thanks a million.

JD

No Events found!